View topic - Rescue Knife: Sharp tip or blunt?

It is currently December 12th, 2019, 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 18th, 2008, 12:09 am 

I have a new second PFD, so I need a second rescue knife. My current knife on my current PFD is a sharp tip. I see many knife models offered in the blunt tip. What is the utility or function of the blunt tip rescue knife? I won’t be rafting. I will be canoeing in WW and possibly sea kayaking with this new PDF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 18th, 2008, 1:12 am 

Quote:
possibly sea kayaking

Shucking oysters is easier with a blunt knife?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 18th, 2008, 6:04 am 

I don't think that blunt tips offer a utility function, rather a safety function so you don't stab yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 18th, 2008, 6:07 am 

This is funny. I had the same dilemma as you, but an opposite question during my recent search for a rescue knife.

What is the function of a sharp tip on a rescue knife?

I figured a sharp tip would serve no purpose other than injuring myself or others during a rescue situation. Given the most common use of a rescue knife is to cut lines, A lot of my friends carry a hook style thinking it would be the easiest to use effectively should they be in an emergency.

[url=http://www.888knivesrus.com/c=jc5m6NyIiMwyPde7LQbMgKHxM/product/FOX64022RD/FOX_64022RD_RESCUE_EMERGENCY_TOOL_RED.html]Like this
[/url]
Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 18th, 2008, 6:55 am 

I picked up this one at MEC and find that I too didn't want to injure myself or others, so that's why I got it.

BUT, I would have rathered to get a knife that is holstered a little tighter and not able to come out of the sheath too easily. I found on my PFD that I would prefer to have the knife upside-down on the front, but I'm a little worried that when it is needed the most that the knife will already be jumbling around in the bottom of the canoe..

Anyone have any idea's for knife placement or maybe a better sheath??

[color=green]For love of the wilderness, A journey begins...[/color] [color=brown][b][Nature's Calling...] So get OFF(!) THAT(!!) THUNDERBOX !!![/b][/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 18th, 2008, 7:42 am 

The blunt tip provides saftey when cutting someone free of a rope entrapment, (you have to get in under the rope around flesh) or possibly preserving an inflatable or preventing a puncture if working around the boat (mostly rafts).

For the lose sheath use a piece of fishing line to losely secure it to the sheath. It will serve to ensure that it's there in the event of dump and easy to cut free if for some reason you need it.......and you think twice about using it for peanut butter.
In regards to the Oysters...... the sweet spot is hard to get at with a blunt for a novice like me; when the beer consumtion goes up though it is prudent to switch to flat screwdrivers due to the lack of dexterity and the avaliabllity of a sober DD to get to the clinic for stitches. Salt water doesn't cure all. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 18th, 2008, 6:59 pm 

IMHO the knife shown is a scuba divers knife. Divers are always (sometimes) prying stuff and the knife with the blunt tip serves as a neat little pry bar. Divers want to be able to cut lines, nets, or other stuff that might entangle them and pry neat rocks, coral, shellfish and similar. Thus a 2 function tool.

Douglas

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 18th, 2008, 7:08 pm 

Sorry, I didn't read all of Georgi's post. The slots in the sheath are made for straps to go around an arm or leg. Like a wrist watch. Usually around the calf. but sometimes around the thigh or arm. The sheath can also be strapped to a a scuba vest or life vvest.

Hope this helps

Douglas

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 18th, 2008, 9:26 pm 

The blunt tip is a safety feature when cutting under water. It also lets you use the knife as a pry bar. On one of my SRT recerts I was taught how to pop glass out of submerged vehicles with it (a pretty unlikely event for recreational boater).

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 27th, 2008, 6:45 pm 

The knife sheath has been redesigned. I contacted McNett after losing mine and the were kind enough to replace it. I have not received it but I trust it will stay in place until needed.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: September 13th, 2008, 4:20 pm 

Georgi wrote:

I picked up this one at MEC and find that I too didn't want to injure myself or others, so that's why I got it.

BUT, I would have rathered to get a knife that is holstered a little tighter and not able to come out of the sheath too easily. I found on my PFD that I would prefer to have the knife upside-down on the front, but I'm a little worried that when it is needed the most that the knife will already be jumbling around in the bottom of the canoe..

Anyone have any idea's for knife placement or maybe a better sheath??

(read this to the end before flaming me!!)
One option is to run a short length of cord from the knife to the PFD, thread this through / behind a piece of webbing etc (there always seems to be loads of such 'loops' on a PFD) and 'secure' with a cord grip. If you are lucky this cord can be very short. (depends on knife/loop position).

When you need the knife you take it out of the sheaf and overcome the resistance of a cord grip to get it to arms length. You loose the cord grip most likely, and are left with the knife trailing a few inches of cord, which shouldn't be an issue.

However, if the QR on the sheath operates when you don't want it to you are unlikely to loose your knife. I have used this system for years, only lost one cord grip and have 'saved' the knife twice.

I hope that makes sense. I'm NOT advocating tying the knife to the PFD!!

PostPosted: September 14th, 2008, 10:02 am 

Many people are posting images of McNett knives, and many internet stores seem to carry them. But the reviews I read list two major problems: the sheath cracks and breaks, and the release mechanism is poorly designed and the knife falls out. The concept of needing a bungee cord addition to remediate the poor design, to me, is bizarre.

These are two problems that nix the option of the McNett knives for me. On expedition tripping, my life jacket is used hard. And since I bring it inside the tent every night, and often use it as a shim under the thermarest to level the sleeping surface, then the knife absolutely CANNOT fall out of the sheath. Even setting the life jacket down at the end of a potage can tap it against a rock, and I can’t always be checking that the knife has fallen out.

In scouting rapids, I bushwhack with the lifejacket on, with branches pulling at it.

In WW playboating, swims can be a rock-banging experience, and that knife sheath cannot be cracking or the knife letting go. In sudden flurries of boat pin rescues with swimmers and ropes and branches all over the place, I cannot afford to have a knife be falling out of a sheath.

Currently I have an old Wenoka Sea Star “Blackie Collins” model, pointed double edge, with a big ball bearing depression release mechanism. It is rock solid and won’t accidentally release, and the sheath is still good after 14 years of use shoulder mounted on my beat up Extrasport (which is being retired). The handle also has a nice double finger guard so that if I ever had to defend against a bear, I have stabbing and slashing ability without the danger of my fingers slipping onto the blade. I don’t like the design of some of these knives with no finger protection if the knife is used in bear weapon mode.

After considering all your replies and good advice, I have decided that the pointed tip is what I want for my other vest. I am leaning towards a single edge design though, for the ability to slide under a rope that is around a leg or arm, with less risk of injury. A single edge is useful as splitting wedge for wood, should I be in survival mode, having lost my boat, gear and belt knife.

I can’t find a website for Wenoka. Some reviews on their new squeeze locks is negative - the knife falls out. If a diver loses his/her knife, it’s only lost for a day, and they can get a new one for tomorrow’s dive. But on a 40 day backcountry canoe trip, I cannot afford to have a knife fall out of a sheath. In the flurry and abrasion of a WW rescue or gnarly swim, I don’t like the idea of a flimsy squeeze release. I like the solid “click” of that old ball bearing mechanism.

Is anyone making the ball bearing depression release knife-sheaths these days?

PostPosted: September 14th, 2008, 12:35 pm 

I agree, the McNett is a POS. I've lost two of them, once while climbing back into my canoe from the water, the other during a portage.

Don't know about a site for Wenoka, but MEC carries there squeeze model. I have this knife too, and it is much more secure than the McNett.

My favorite rescue knife was my Spyderco Rescue. Extremely sharp, and able to open with one hand, but it is a folder which scores points against it, not to mention expensive.

PostPosted: September 14th, 2008, 2:09 pm 

My replacement from McNett arrived in the mail last week. Same sheath! I am not sure if I have the new sheath or the old sheath from the pictures I am seeing on the net.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2008, 5:24 am 

Yesterday I picked up a new rescue knive: NRS Pilot. It has a blunt (screw driver) tip...
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2755

HOOP_ wrote:
Quote:
What is the utility or function of the blunt tip rescue knife? I

The blunt tip is said (see NRS webside) to have a dual function: Quote: "The blunt tip design protects against unintentional puncture of your gear or yourself! Also doubles as a flat-head screwdriver..".
Wow.. always handy on the river. Perhaps I can modify it a bit to fit for my seat hanger and thwart bolts.. these always seem to become loose.
The back side of the knive has a feature to break glass... :doh: Yeahh.. I can see a emergency situation here. Imagine... paddling a wild river... wind turns bad - close to hypothermia... see a cabin.. door locked... no stones nearby.. so I use my knive to break a window... problem is how to avoid cutting my hand in the glass I break.

It also features a bottle opener, and some other neat features like a Square hole in the handle that doubles as a valve wrench for an Oxygen tank.
Just hope I'll never realy have to rely on what it's actualy meant for: emergency situations.