View topic - POLL: What class rapids do you run

It is currently December 10th, 2019, 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Highest class typically run
1 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
2 30%  30%  [ 20 ]
3 42%  42%  [ 28 ]
4 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
5 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
I have no class 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 67
PostPosted: May 14th, 2009, 12:41 pm 

ok, my turn to inflate the horses lungs eh :P

Dan, stop bobbing and weaving
you were argueing for two seperate class systems not explaining the origins of "creep" :lol:

ok....that's all I got
gotta assign shit distrubing to someone....... behind

PostPosted: May 14th, 2009, 2:08 pm 

No.

1st of all I NEVER said my CIV runs are a CII+. That is ridicuolous. I said that My CIV tripping is a CIII in a decked playboat on the ottawa or Gantineau.

2nd Everyone is arguing for highway traffic act to apply to rivers. All I was saying is the rapids are rated by the users, and different users rate the rapids differently depending on the type of boating they are doing. -- In order to properly read river beta the orgion of the beta has to be taken into account and interpreted.

I am glad that everyone has come to see the light that I am right afterall.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2009, 5:40 pm 

Dan,
I think you've moderated your angle on this somewhat since p.3...

Quote:
FWIW.

I voted CIV. A CIV tripping for me would be a CIII or even a CII+ playboating.

To me, that implied that you'd call the same rapid anywhere from class II+ to class IV, depending on the boat you were in. And following this, it seemed clear you were advocating to assign different classifications based on boat type, which I think is different than "different people/paddlers will have different perspectives", because it's the same paddler giving different perspectives (and using different numbers for the same rapid), which gets weird. I thought that's why were even having this debate!

Pat.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2009, 7:52 pm 

we all mellow a bit with age...

PostPosted: May 14th, 2009, 8:32 pm 

"EZ, I thought the beginner river down those parts was the Hiwasse? ok, Patton's is a 3.....looked over William Nealy's descriptions." --- Gail R

What do you mean by beginner river? Where you're going to train beginners in late May? Hiwassee is good if you have enough instructors to pick up the pieces. Where you send newbies who plan to paddle on their own? I would send them to the Hudson near Athens, or possibly to the Broad if I think they're good.

I like to train on the metro Chattahoochee. It is certainly easier than the Hiwassee, but it has wonderfull strong current jets and eddy lines. More reliable water than other rivers also.

I was "trained" on the Hiwassee in my first c-1, back in '74. My instructor kept trying to get me to side surf, but when I failed, and of course did not roll, the Hahn and I got rolled down the multiple ledges. Not a good place for recovery. It was early October, I got hypothermic, and everyone had to wait on an Island while I warmed up in the sun. But if the instructor had stuck to teaching planning how to run ledge series, ferrying, spinning, etc., I would have done OK. By '79 I was on the Ocoee, watching my instructor surf the upper Double Suck hole on a cross-brace, and deftly extract himself when he grew tired of the sport. Today he would be run over by a raft as soon as he got in the hole.

Last edited by ezwater on May 15th, 2009, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2009, 12:31 am 

OK, so what I understand Dan to be advocating goes something like this: Green River Headworks here in Washington. If I run the Railroad Bridge Drop in my Outrage X, with just me, its a Class III, but if I were paddling my friend's Ocoee, with the hard chines, it goes up to a III+. If I have my Hemlock Eagle with a full load, definitely a IV, though with my 15 Prospector with airbags, it might be a IV-, or even a III+, and if I elect to portage or line the drop, it would be a II at the most. And that's just at one flow. Where it gets complicated is when I factor in what paddle I'm using. My Grey Owl with the football grip, increases the difficulty a factor, while if I've got my Mitchell, or Mohawk spare, it stays the same. And if I'm hung over, that definitely increases the difficulty. Do I understand this correctly? :D

PostPosted: May 15th, 2009, 6:36 am 

Dan. wrote:
we all mellow a bit with age...

Well, this thread has almost gone on long enough to make that a serious comment. Let's see if we can go till June. :)

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2009, 7:02 am 

erich wrote:
OK, so what I understand Dan to be advocating goes something like this: Green River Headworks here in Washington. If I run the Railroad Bridge Drop in my Outrage X, with just me, its a Class III, but if I were paddling my friend's Ocoee, with the hard chines, it goes up to a III+. If I have my Hemlock Eagle with a full load, definitely a IV, though with my 15 Prospector with airbags, it might be a IV-, or even a III+, and if I elect to portage or line the drop, it would be a II at the most. And that's just at one flow. Where it gets complicated is when I factor in what paddle I'm using. My Grey Owl with the football grip, increases the difficulty a factor, while if I've got my Mitchell, or Mohawk spare, it stays the same. And if I'm hung over, that definitely increases the difficulty. Do I understand this correctly? :D

No...

If you paddle it with hardcore creekers and playboaters they will call it a III-, unless they roll or swim. If you paddle it in a remote situation with a tripping canoe and paddlers that are not playboaters in another life, it could probably be a IV-. Hap Wilson will rate it as an unrunnable deathtrap.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2009, 5:41 pm 

Quote:
Hap Wilson will rate it as an unrunnable deathtrap.

Dan and I agree at least on this point!

Of course Hap is giving these ratings in a guide which if not specifically intended for newbies will certainly be used by them.

Virtually everything in Hap's guides is way overstated, as are many guides targeted at the casual market.

To give Hap some credit, it's far better to overstate difficulty rather than understate especially when the information is directed to the "mass market" (a bit of an oxymoron when talking about wilderness tripping).

Or maybe Hap just like to inflate his ego and come across as some paddling wizard to his armchair readers who may likely never actually paddle the trips he writes about. That said, he writes a good yarn or maybe his publisher insists on him jacking up the "excitement" level.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2009, 10:48 pm 

Yeah, but I just found that Bob Benner rated the well-known Lesser Wesser on the Nantahala as a class 4.

Bob wasn't exaggerating to please the publisher. His ability was so great that he would not have had difficulty with Lesser Wesser at any water level. I simply have no idea why he rated it a class 4, as no one just downstream at NOC would have rated it that high, even in the early 70s when NOC was just getting its act together.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2009, 10:02 am 

Thought of this question yesterday
river: Ouareau
location river: Notre-dame-de-la-merci
gauge: 46 (http://www.myosis.ca
location of album photobucket, ww paddling, canoesrock

[img]
http://gs106.photobucket.com/groups/m27 ... ustew3.jpg[/img]

[img]http//gi106.photobucket.com/groups/m275/HTOZTD8FXK/oureauc3-2.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Gail R on May 19th, 2009, 10:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2009, 10:23 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

http://photobucket.com/canoesrock

Choosing one at random:

Code:
[img]http://gi106.photobucket.com/groups/m275/HTOZTD8FXK/oureauc3-3.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: May 19th, 2009, 10:31 am 

Cripes Gail.... Nice links. Figured out where to go and saw the pics but forgot what you were talking about in all the goobledygook!

PK

PostPosted: May 19th, 2009, 10:37 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

two things:

--go to the photo you want to show, then scroll down. On the left side will be a series of boxes with codes:

Email & IM
Direct Link
HTML Code
IMG Code <<<<<<<<<<<you want this one.

Copy that and paste into your reply box.

--do a Preview first before hitting the submit button.

that's how I got that one photo to show up. I included the coding after it to show what the link is that is necessary.

Barbara

PostPosted: May 19th, 2009, 10:40 am 

I take out the talk and try and fix it up.
Barbara is giving me the idiots guide now....thanks chickie
these are just the 4 main drops....there is miles of 300 to 500m stretches of class 2 class 2-3 (no pictures, I was trying to stay upright in my Taureau)

incidentally, if you were to ask soe of the quebec paddlers about this river, they might tell you that 46 the river is done and look elsewhere for more fun.... many i talk to prefer it at 90....at 60 the waves are a little bigger (apparently) but the difficulty only goes up maybe 10%...haven't had someone close to our crew run it higer than 60-70

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next