View topic - playboat info/advice??

It is currently December 12th, 2019, 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: playboat info/advice??
PostPosted: July 13th, 2009, 9:57 pm 

Hi everybody,

For about the last year I've been toying with the idea of acquiring a playboat to stretch my skills, and more importantly to learn some new ones. I've never owned one before and I'd be looking for a used boat, and one that would suit the following;

- I consider myself to be a competent intermediate paddler in ww, but have only paddled tripping boats.
- I'm not a big guy, I'm 5'8" & 170lbs.
- Boat would be used primarily on southern ontario rivers in spring
- outfitting I'd likely do or modify myself

I'm still not sold on the idea, considering how much time I get on the water.... however if the right boat came along for the right price, I'd likely take a hard look at getting one and would like to know what to look for in advance.

Many thanks,

Scott

PostPosted: July 14th, 2009, 11:39 am 

@ 170 lbs you woud be at the limit of normal "forgiveness" level for these boats:
prodigy (there is an X version)
phantom (this is a light persons boat)
zoom (you either love it or hate it, my girlfriend loves it, I hate it, her son has one and is at the 200 lb mark, he's a kick ass paddler which brings me to:
yes, bigger guys and gals paddle these, but they have one of two characterisitcs they like the edgy feel and can handle the decreased stability OR they like to swim

southern ontario RIVERS means you don't necessarily need plastic but if you like low volume or creeks consider one, otherwise thye are in general slower, heavier. And second hand ones get picked up quickly and for a price that casual boaters aren't interested in.

What is your tripping style?
point and shoot or using the river? Why this makes a difference is to gauge firstly if you experience translates directly or that you have awsome river reading skills but no muscle memory experience on what to do with it.
Too polite and unclear? :P son, there's tons of old school tripper out there who can't handle a smaller nimble craft worth a shit...... since you're a soloist, it's more likely you have relivant skills
Hom much playin' do you want to do?
get down an personal with holes and ride the shit out of every line, drag up and do it again? Go with an Ocoee or zephur, maybe even a detanator which is slow but it surfs What am I missing in this catigory?

second cat is get yourself down the river, move around a bit, feel stable in big water with a forgiving hull under your bum.....
lots of legacy craft in this one like the Mohawk XL's and probes,
the dagger genisis, rival, etc
You could also place the caption set for solo here
I'll even put one of my boats here the Mad River outrage and defiantely it's big boned (X) version
obviously I think the outrage is the most nimble in this Cat but it's no Ocoee
I'll put the Nitro here too.... big boned Det in some respects
in fact, I think maybe the nitro might be a boat that would show up in a skinflint's price range

now it's up to you how much skin and swimming you want in the game. My take is you already solo so go for the different experience
I'm guessing a majic number of under $500?
be abe to recognise UV fade and brittleness and delamination.
Ontario isn't a big market so resale tends to be a coupe hundred more...but deals are out there if you are actively looking...... Doug B, if his wife hasn't changed the passwords on the checking account is a good deal sniffer, ask him to keep you in mind for boats he doesn't want

I heard of a Zoom being picked up this season SOnt for 450, that to me sounds like a deal BUT I don't have a handle on how the economy has effected it yet...
You got access to the Gull? why not just rent a couple hulls there and see if you like play boating?
doesn't sound like you're committed.....and that's a word you need in this genre otherwise you can mess about in your tripping solos, swim a little more, do a little less and get buy with the cash in your pocket for your next beaver flight.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2009, 5:17 pm 

hmmmm... and I thought this would be easy....

- mostly point & shoot style presently...but I think I have pretty competent river reading.
- surfing holes doesn't interest me quite as much as threading some nice technical lines. I'm wanting to bump up my skills and try to have them applied to tripping.
-
Quote:
I'm guessing a majic number of under $500?
- yup, I just got the green light from my wife to buy a motorcycle next year...a new boat will kill that deal and I've been wanting to get back on a bike for a while.
-
Quote:
You got access to the Gull? why not just rent a couple hulls there and see if you like play boating?
- funny you mention that. My wife has expressed an interest in the manicouagan trip I'm looking into. She normally avoids my trips over 5 days in length(ergo the soloing), and has no ww experience above an easy C2 so we'll likely book a weekend at MKC next spring. I wouldn't mind having another set of eyes look at what I'm doing right/wrong either. What boats would they have there? I can't tell much from the website other than looking at photos(the zephyr, and what I think is a starburst).

anyway, you're right about not being totally committed, but like I said if a good deal came along I'd want to know what boats to look at beforehand.

Thanks!

PostPosted: July 14th, 2009, 7:50 pm 

You are going to be hard pressed to find a playboat in serviceable condition in this part of the world for $500.

I do know of someone looking to unload a Zephyr for a good price, but not quite this good.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2009, 10:09 pm 

I consider myself a bit of a deal sniffer too, and I agree that most used playboats tend to come outfitted and are typically in the $700 - $1,000 - more if they're a hot boat or in great condition.

Since you're definitely looking cheap, I'd say any boat would do. But for your interests, you probaly want to avoid agressively edged boats like the Zoom, Ocoee, Viper and Solito.

I'd also stay away from big, old boats if you can - Impulse, Genesis, H2Pro, because they're pretty big for your weight and not very responsive, though you may like the stability.

On the used market you might find a Probe (preferrably 11), Rival, or Outrage that would suit you well, among many other possibilities.

But it's not worth sweating the differences since you'll be mostly influenced by availabilty and price... basically, you're looking for a "cheap ww solo playboat", and anything that fits that general bill will do to get you started!

Pat.

PostPosted: July 15th, 2009, 7:58 am 

There's not much point in suggesting any particular boat if you are wanting to buy used - you have to take whatever you can get, especially if you are going to be limited by a set price.

I'd suggest that you do some homework first - look at any and all sources within your reasonable driving distance to see what boats might be available, and if you find something within your price range, then ask about that specific boat.

Look in the newspapers; search out canoe clubs in the area and see if they have a classifieds section; look at classifieds here and on Paddling.net and Cboats.net; - perhaps even post "wanted to buy" on these websites - Cboats has any number of threads on the forum asking similar question, so you can read those posts to get some idea about what boats are good beginner or whatever level - they also have a "search boats" function that if you click on OC1 will give you some detail on different models.

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/search/boa?query=canoe is always worth a try for your city - this is for TO - just google for craigslist and whatever city you care to name