View topic - Right side left side

It is currently December 16th, 2019, 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Right side left side
PostPosted: April 9th, 2010, 9:41 am 

ice-breaker wrote:
I experienced a severe case of tendonitus in my right elbow a couple years back. It became so bad that I could not use the steering wheel on my car with my right arm due to pain. My solution, at work I switched my computer mouse from the right side of my keyboard to the left. A couple weeks later there was a significant improvement, and about 6 weeks later the tendonitus was totally gone.

I had the same problem. I attributed it at the time to competitive fly casting, but it turned out to be computer related. Come to find out, computer mousing now causes more epicondylitis ("tennis elbow") than playing tennis does. In my case, I was doing lots of photo retouching that required hundreds of mouse clicks. I gave that up and the problem went away.

Mousing was also adding to my rotator cuff problem. Since I have severe carpal tunnel as well (ya, I'm a wreck), I can't stand the pain of resting my right wrist on the desk while I mouse. I end up holding the arm up to relieve the pressure on my wrist, and that means shoulder problems. These digital wonders will be the death of me. I was in much better condition before a computer came into my life.

As far as paddling, I am extremely right-handed, but have a very strong preference for paddling on the left. I do my time on the right during a trip, but only after getting tired on the left side. I switch back as soon as I am recovered. The way I paddle (right or wrong) is similar to the way I'd throw a ball or punch someone in the jaw (I rarely do that :wink: ) with a straight right. The left is only used for a fulcrum while the body rotation does all the work. Also, my fine motor control is much better in my right than in my left, so I feel I have much more control of paddle pitch with my right hand on the grip. It's what works for me. If I was a WW paddler I'd learn everything on both sides, just in case.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2010, 10:10 am 
Battenkiller wrote:
[...]
If I was a WW paddler I'd learn everything on both sides, just in case.

If you want to paddle successfully in rough open water with a hard (head)wind in a solo canoe, it too can be a major difference if you are able to paddle as well on the left and right side. Although I am paddling a lot on my left side, I still don’t have a solid brace on that side, which sometimes forces me to paddle on the right side even though my progress can get marginal then :(

Dirk Barends

PostPosted: April 9th, 2010, 11:43 am 

Right handed.
In moving water I paddle on the left which puts my right hand on the T.
The last few seasons I've been paddling switch on flatwater and I've found my shoulders and core prefer the ballanced workout.
For that reason I'm hoping to get better at paddling righty with my left hand on the T.
I'm almost competent at righty J stroking but I've got a ways to go before I'll be anything but a clutz doing righty offsides :-?

PostPosted: April 9th, 2010, 12:11 pm 

TommyC1 wrote:
Right handed.
In moving water I paddle on the left which puts my right hand on the T.
The last few seasons I've been paddling switch on flatwater and I've found my shoulders and core prefer the ballanced workout.
For that reason I'm hoping to get better at paddling righty with my left hand on the T.
I'm almost competent at righty J stroking but I've got a ways to go before I'll be anything but a clutz doing righty offsides :-?

Here too.. Over the winter canoe trips have given me a chance to practice hit and switch. Curiously I get less yaw on my "bad side"

I want to be able to hit and switch well as its so practical for going upwind solo.

I have been forced into doing strokes on my weaker side as some can't relate well to mirror imaging. If they paddle on the left I have to too to show them something. Its been an education going back to the beginner days. Gives you empathy too...its not easy sometimes to learn.

I am a lefty and paddle on the right. That is I am mostly a lefty. I mouse right handed. Work made me do that and now mousing lefty is wicked unnatural. Its about muscle memory. Perhaps with time I will have fine muscle control using my right hand as my grip hand.

This summer at AFS perhaps we should have FS VI-X. Repeat of levels I-V but on your "bad side". Your post gave me that idea Tommy!

PostPosted: April 9th, 2010, 12:44 pm 

All great posts, everyone. I'm going to try mousing with my left hand. Far more important to be able to save my right arm for paddling and sacrifice some mouse control. When I paddle tandem, flatwater, easy whitewater, I'm comfortable paddling on either side. However, when I'm playing solo, my right side is always my weak side, though being a left side paddler, I think my cross overs are pretty strong. Perhaps I should work on retraining. I know when I was teaching a class a couple of years ago, I was trying to show some newbie solo paddlers strokes and thought, "They're on my right side I'll just switch to that side to demonstrate." Unfortunately, even my brace was weak and I swam. Maybe not the best way to teach but it showed me how weak my weak side is.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2010, 1:18 pm 

erich wrote:
I'm going to try mousing with my left hand. Far more important to be able to save my right arm for paddling and sacrifice some mouse control.

A big help for me came recently with my new Mac. The "Magic Mouse" that comes with new iMacs is a delight. The entire top of the case is like a touch screen, so side-to-side and up-and-down scrolling is all done just by sweeping the fingers across the top. No buttons either. The case top itself serves as the buttons, with a press on the left side being the left button and a press on the right is the right button. Greatly reduces the strain in the mousing hand, whichever one you use. And of course, it's cordless. That means I can hold in on my leg, or even recline backwards and use it on that giant mouse pad above my belt.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2010, 5:37 pm 

Right handed, but paddle equally both ways. I guess if I had to pick a strong side, it would be the left. I have always attempted to do physical things both ways. When it comes to dexterity though, it is right handed almost all the time.

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

PostPosted: April 10th, 2010, 8:47 pm 

Browsing through the bubblestreet comics I came across this one that seems appropriate:

http://www.bubblestreet.ca/archive/?p=333

Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: April 12th, 2010, 7:25 am 

right handed - I try to paddle equally on both sides flatwater or whitewater, to work both sets of muscles evenly -i.e. right side and left side; to some extent, I look at paddling as a workout, and I try to even it up for both sides. My right side is my "strong side", and for a must make move, I'll most likely be on the right.

I highly recommend the use of an elbow brace if you are having problems with tendenitis (I assume it in the elbow area?) - either the neoprene or elastic armband type - I use them all the time to prevent a flareup (I get it bad when shooting my bow a lot)

lately, my tendonitis has been flaring up at work if I am doing a lot of typing - simple solution was to make a pad for my elbow - I just taped a bunch of paper towels fromt eh dispenser into a pad about 12mm or so thick - surprising what a difference that little trick has made.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2010, 8:36 am 

When I started paddling as a kid I used to go with my dad. He is right handed and paddles on the right side, I'm right handed too but he used to make me paddle on the left...lol...so I'm strongest paddling on the left but like most on here I can paddle on the right just as well. I believe paddling is the only thing I can do both left and right just as good... 8)

PostPosted: April 12th, 2010, 1:05 pm 

Bryan, great Bubble Street! Very appropriate.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2010, 9:51 pm 

Interesting topic.
I'm right-handed. For paddling, both sides are about the same but for must make moves, I'd prefer to be on my left. When paddling for extended periods, I find that a change is as good as a rest so I try to change sides regularly. Also, when I paddle with a beginner, I usually let them pick their favourite side and paddle on the other side.
There are times when the river and/or my partner's skills or lack thereof dictate which side I should paddle on. I also find that on flatwater, depending on the wind, I need to be able to paddle well and fairly strongly on both sides.
Ralph

PostPosted: May 10th, 2010, 5:19 pm 

I thought my right/left usage was a bit strange but obviously not. I spent a number of years as a counsellor at a tripping camp. That meant a minimum of 6 weeks on the water each summer with a wide variety of rug rats. Paddling well both sides wasn't a choice, it was a necessity. Forty years later, I still have the touch on both sides. My regular partner and I switch sides about every 30 to 40 minutes with me in the stern and it allows us to move at a pretty good clip for many hours. My plan speed is 6 Kph and we can easily keep that up over an 8 hour stretch.

I am right handed but I mouse with my left. I work a lot with numbers and using the mouse in my left lets me work the number pad with my right. The number pad is touch without looking so I move way faster than any one I know but they all think I'm nuts. Thanks for the support

PostPosted: May 10th, 2010, 9:51 pm 

For tripping or flatwater, or easy moving water, I can paddle either side and don't have any problems. But when I have a difficult III or harder section in my playboat, it's always the left side that is my on side. I don't switch hand positions, but am comfortable with my off side strokes, like cross forward, etc.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2010, 12:03 pm 

I'm right handed

before 2000 I paddled right side almost exclusively, both solo and tandem.

Then I started paddling mostly left in a tandem to give the bowman or stern person their stronger side. But I'd still paddle right side solo until a few of years ago.

Lately if feels completely unnatural paddling on the right side. Now I paddle left side even though I mostly paddle solo.