View topic - Opeongo River

It is currently December 9th, 2019, 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Opeongo River
PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 10:42 pm 

Has anyone been down this year? Is the road into the head of the river (Salvation Army Camp) still gated? Any advice to shorten the long lake paddle to the river would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Opeongo River
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2011, 7:51 am 

Since nobody has answered with recent info... I was there (Victoria lake) several years ago... the road used for dam maintenance goes through private property and was gated and locked.

When I asked if I could park and launch at the Salvation Army Camp, I was told to leave, private property, no public parking. There was some news since that the SA camp had been sold, but I can't be certain whether this is true or how it affects access now.

The only access at this time may be from Algonquin but that involves portaging. I've sent out an email for info if anything new turns up.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2011, 6:22 pm 

From Algonquin Bound, the nearest outfitter:

Quote:
Hi Richard, the camp was indeed purchased a few years back and there is no access other than by water from the Shall Lake access.

Sincerely,

Jason
Algonquin Bound Outfitters

PostPosted: March 28th, 2012, 9:10 am 

Richard, can you or anyone else give me a location (long. & lat.) of the gate? I'm not sure exactly where it is. Something from Google earth that puts me in the approx. location would be great.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2012, 10:03 am 

The padlocked gate was visible from the road to the SA camp at the south end of Victoria... it's a right turn off onto the road going to the dam, going north and maybe only 50m from the SA road. Both roads are shown on top maps.

The locked gate was there, at least when I drove through when the property was still owned by SA... the new property owner may have changed things. I don't have my maps with me so I can't help with coordinates, sorry.

Geez, Teach... you aren't planning on bringing bolt cutters and hack saws, are you? Why all the interest in this gate?

PostPosted: March 28th, 2012, 12:11 pm 

No hack and dash planned here. I'm hoping to locate the 'gatekeeper' that acts on behalf of the principle landowners along that stretch. I pretty much know who the principle landowner(s) is/are. There is also a possible access point coming in from the north shore of Victoria Lake but thatis dependent on the gate location. If the gate is in the location you indicate, that may be an alternative but may too requie the seekig of permision.