View topic - Lower Madawaska Spring 2013 Update

It is currently December 10th, 2019, 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 10th, 2013, 5:29 pm 

I paddled the Lower Madawaska River from Aumonds Bay to Buck Bay on May 9th. The water level was about 300cms. Weather was warm, lots of blackflies out and biting, rained most of the day but not heavy and there was no wind.

At these levels some of the rapids were washed out, and others like Rifle Chute were very large and fast. I was in a new boat that I'd never paddled before and was very careful running the rapids. Rifle Chute was the only real hazard on this trip...even then I would have paddled it if in my Pocket Canyon but as it was I was feeling very "tippy" in my new play boat and a dump here could involve a bit of a swim along with gear rescue due to the high water and fast current.

The road to Aumonds Bay is more or less the same shape it's been in for the past 5 years.

No sweepers on this stretch of the river.

Just a small spring update on conditions of the Lower Mad...I may get out next weekend again.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2013, 9:54 pm 

Sam82 wrote:
I was in a new boat that I'd never paddled before and was very careful running the rapids. Rifle Chute was the only real hazard on this trip...even then I would have paddled it if in my Pocket Canyon but as it was I was feeling very "tippy" in my new play boat and a dump here could involve a bit of a swim along with gear rescue due to the high water and fast current.

Don't leave us in suspense. What kind of boat were you paddling?

PostPosted: May 15th, 2013, 11:48 am 

I was paddling a Dagger Genesis. I must say I really like the boat. It tracks better and has better stability then my Mad River Outrage X. Unfortunately I just have been in it the one time and it will be staying home for my upcoming spring trips on the Upper Gatineau and Kattawagami.

The main problem with the boat is I must redo the Bob Foote thigh straps...my legs are big and they don't fit me so when I squeezed in them on this trip I was sitting very high in the saddle which made me very top heavy.

But sure was nice to paddle the Mad again...I have never seen it at that level before. The bottom rapid of Raquette Rapids was washed out mostly.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2013, 1:19 pm 

I am going to be paddling this section Friday morning. It's currently at 130, still higher than I've seen it but hopefully a good level. I will most likely be in a purple Outrage if anyone else is out in advance of the weekend.