View topic - Moving water instruction for Paddling rivers

It is currently December 11th, 2019, 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 10th, 2018, 3:42 pm 

Hello Everyone, I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I'm fairly new to paddling and am looking for some instruction on reading rivers and some basic moving water techniques to help my future river trips be more enjoyable. I'd paddled the Spanish river the last 2 years, had a great time but would like to hone my skills before I get there this year. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Chris

PostPosted: April 10th, 2018, 4:32 pm 

For sure I can help you with that, ORCKA certified instructor with more than 30 years experience doing long trips with a lot of white water. You can check out rolfkraiker.com

PostPosted: April 10th, 2018, 8:20 pm 

Thanks for your help! Are there any good resources (video or book) that I can gather to learn some basic skills?

PostPosted: April 10th, 2018, 9:52 pm 

A little incomplete and dated, but there's stuff at this link that might be of interest:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/paddlen ... d-more-f3/

Thrill of the Paddle by Paul Mason is a classc book.

Have fun, Pat.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2018, 7:22 am 

ChrisGSP wrote:
Thanks for your help! Are there any good resources (video or book) that I can gather to learn some basic skills?

I learned through a lot of trial and error plus some books and films (I started before the era of video). I thought I had things pretty well figured out but I took my white water instructor's course with Mark Scriver, Paul Mason, Shawn Hodgins and Dirk Van Wijk. From them I learned a ton of stuff. Since then I've taught a lot of white water courses. What I can say is that you can learn more in a weekend of instruction than you'd get from reading books and watching videos but those can be a good start. The one thing that I notice on courses is that "ah ha" moment when a student gets to "feel" how the boat should be responding when its set up properly. At the beginning of a course students often tackle a move and put in 15-20 paddle strokes and still don't manage to make the move and get swept downstream. When they figure out how to take advantage of the current, set proper angle to current and proper tilt on the boat, they easily drift across a feature with just 3-4 well timed paddle strokes.

The quality of instruction has been pretty much standardized in Ontario and I'm sure you'd find it beneficial to take a course with any of the instructors you might want to get in touch with if you're located in the province. Pretty sure the same applies outside Ontario.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2018, 2:04 pm 

Where are you located?

As Rolf stated, quality moving water instruction is the place to start.

I’m sure people will recommend canoe schools and instructors once they know your city/province/etc.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2018, 7:05 am 

Thanks for your responses, I live in London, not quite the white water hub of Ontario..
My paddling experience is pretty short, 2 trips down the Spanish, I took an evening lesson with a flatwater instructor, and a few floats down the Thames in my kayak. I'm looking at booking a day lesson on the lower Nith river in a couple weeks, etc.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2018, 9:22 am 

I took a weekend course with MKC, and have to agree with Rolf that 2 days of on the water instruction was more valuable learning experience than the years of books and videos I'd consumed before.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2018, 10:05 am 

Ask Alan Greve at Canoe Water Adventuring
http://canoewateradventuring.com
He is a very good solo WW paddler.
I have known him for quite a few years.
He should be able to assist you in your neck of the woods.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: April 12th, 2018, 1:12 pm 

Thanks Jeff, his store is about 10 mins from my house! I'll try to get in touch with him.

Chris