View topic - Mixed use canoes - ww & large lakes

It is currently December 12th, 2019, 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 14th, 2004, 12:28 pm 
I would pick a symmetrical design for its greater versatility not because of dryness as symmetry and hull shape and fine bow are not necessarily related. I had to paddle my Dumoine solo for a hundred miles and it was not fun. Because we had a lot of bulky gear we had taken out the kneeling thwart and replaced it with a standard rail level thwart., and this provided support way too high. Because of the dropped sheerline and skegged stern the boat could not be paddled in reverse from the bow seat. I would also like a boat that runs rapids backward as well as forward and one that does back ferries well. We practice back ferries for half an hour in an OT tripper and compared to the Dumoine, the Tripper is more maneuverable in reverse (probably due to the seat positions too). Neither boat was loaded.
That said the Dumoine is relatively fast for a short boat. We will see; we are entered in a sixteen mile long canoe race this weekend and will probably swamp at the six mile falls (its a three foot drop).
I love to hang tight eddy turns and we find that the Dumoines turning radius is bigger than for example an OT Kennebec (about the same size) so planning must be adjusted.
Dirk if you post into an eddy, wear your snorkel! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 14th, 2004, 5:03 pm 

[quote="Kim Gass"][quote="SWIFT"][quote]

How do you keep this thing dry? We paddle class 3 with no spray covers. We are always bailing the Dumoine while the others in the "heavy pig" OT Tripper are not bailing....its not skill..we are the same level

Well look at the stats on those two boats...The Tripper is 17'2 and 35" wide at the waterline... the Dumo in Royalex is 16'4 and 33" wide. There is alot more boat under your friends than you.

I've too noticed the Dumo is wet. How about comparing the Swift Yukon to the Tripper instead. It's 17'6" and 34" at the waterline.

PK

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 14th, 2004, 8:25 pm 

I have a 16' Nova Craft prospector with knee cups thigh straps and air bags. I also have moved the seats 9" towards the center. love it. It is as fast as any tripping boat on the flats and with the moved seats it by far the dryest in the rapids. It also performs very well solo. I would reccomend this boat to anyone who paddles a mixture of moving and flat water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 14th, 2004, 10:53 pm 

I was just hoping to stay dryish in the upcoming Kenduskeag Stream race this Saturday...us in the Dumoine and 450 other boats all on a 16 mile class 2 and 3 course...this ought to be interesting. My thought is that we will need a kayak pump and a gallon jug for sure especially as we have to go over a small waterfall.
Definitely my OT Tripper friends have "more boat". Maybe it will balance out. There are also two mandatory portages where "more boat " isnt necessarily good, especially as the OT has two layers of skid plates and unknown pounds of epoxy!

Post subject: Best of Luck
PostPosted: April 15th, 2004, 7:32 am 

Kim,

Best of luck in your race. Not sure what you can do in the meanwhile. I paddled a Dumo through a few swamping standing waves, and I found that sliding the bow seat back helped to keep the bow up, but that the boat was fastest with the bow in the water. So I adjusted the seat forward for the flats to keep the bow down, and back to keep it dry. We had alot of gear in the boat, so the adjustment was small, but we needed it all.

PK

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 16th, 2004, 3:26 am 
Kim,

about keeping the Dumoine dry,
have you tried the stern paddler kneeling just behind
the stern thwart or kneeling thwart while going to 'wet' parts,
and the bow paddler with the bow seat slided back, or perhaps
even kneeling behind the bow seat...?
Not only can this make it a lot dryer, but also a bit more
maneuverable and backpaddling is a lot easier too.
At least that is my experience with the
Kipawa, the flatwaterversion of the Dumoine.

Dirk Barends