View topic - Swift carbon innegra H-weave vs. expedition carbon

It is currently September 23rd, 2020, 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 19th, 2020, 8:31 pm 

Hey everybody, new member here. My wife and I are ordering a new Swift Keewaydin 17 with the carbon fusion laminate, carbon kevlar trim, and the tech package. We're planning to day paddle and trip for up to a week on lakes and rivers in the Adirondacks. We'll be primarily on flat water, and possibly quick water on rivers. We have no intention of doing whitewater with this boat. Ease of portaging is a priority.

The way we have the boat spec'ed, with a carbon sliding bow seat and stern kayak-style foot braces, the boat would weight 36.5 lbs. with the standard carbon innegra H-weave laminate; and approximately 39.5 lbs. with the optional expedition carbon laminate.

My question is, given our intended use, what are your thoughts on the standard carbon fusion laminate, i.e. the carbon innegra H-weave vs. the optional expedition carbon?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and feedback.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2020, 6:14 am 

Sweet boat!
Yeah, I see the dilemma - big bucks to save weight then blow it on the heavier layup. I'm hard on my gear; personally I'd rather carry the extra 3 lbs of physical weight on a portage then the constant mental weight (real or imagined) of having to baby the boat. So the way I'd look at it is that I paid for the lighter options to trade-off for the tougher heavier layup.
YMMV.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2020, 7:28 am 

I have the older style carbon kevlar from Swift. You dont need the expedition layup.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2020, 7:48 am 

Krusty wrote:
Sweet boat!
Yeah, I see the dilemma - big bucks to save weight then blow it on the heavier layup. I'm hard on my gear; personally I'd rather carry the extra 3 lbs of physical weight on a portage then the constant mental weight (real or imagined) of having to baby the boat. So the way I'd look at it is that I paid for the lighter options to trade-off for the tougher heavier layup.
YMMV.

Krusty,
Yes, this is exactly our dilemma...save weight by spec'ing the carbon fusion laminate and the other carbon options, but then add back on those precious saved pounds with the expedition carbon laminate.

The other issue is a lack of information about the expedition carbon layup - there's essentially no info on the Swift website about what the expedition carbon layup is comprised of vs. the standard carbon fusion ineggra H-weave. layup.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2020, 8:03 am 

Sounds like a physics problem: If a 36 lb object 17' 6' long is balanced 6' off the ground with an equal force of gravity at the bow, stern and yoke, what forces are exerted on the fulcrum? How much will that force increase if I add 3 lbs overall? There is a formula, I just can't remember it at the moment

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2020, 7:17 am 

Go light you will not regret it!!!!

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2020, 7:39 am 

Let me join the "go light" crowd. I have a 25 year old Kipawa in kevlar that has been on lots of stony lakes and down a couple of rocky rivers. Plenty of scratches, but no real damage. I have a couple of other composite boats including a whitewater boat. Modern composites are a lot tougher than what was available 25 years ago. Looking at your trip profile, I would go light.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2020, 8:09 am 

I have a Swift Packboat in Expedition Kevlar, not expedition carbon. I have carbon trim, a detachable carbon yoke and skid plates. It is extremely tough, it is the same material used by Adam Shoalts in his Nova Craft canoe in his book Beyond the Trees. It is overkill if you are not going to be doing whitewater, because that is where it will save you. I was on the Sturgeon river a little while ago, missed a portage, capsized in a rapid and had my boat pinned perpendicular to the rivers flow, pinned against 2 rocks and I held my breath expecting it to snap in two as it swamped with water. It held and has minimal cosmetic damage. If you are somewhat worried, I would recommend you ad skid plates to the lightest option possible, that way you can be comfortable when your bow paddler forgets to yell 'ROCK!' My 2 cents.

PostPosted: July 28th, 2020, 11:41 am 

Based on you description of use, I would go with the light option.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey