View topic - Clipper Tripper S vs Clipper prospector 16

It is currently August 1st, 2021, 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 6th, 2021, 6:36 am 

Hi,
We are a beginner paddlers looking for a canoe for a family (2 adults and kids 5 and 7 years).

We came across a clipper tripper S and prospector 16 both in Fiberglass and hoping for advice on which one to go for.

We will mostly be doing day trips in calm waters. Points of confusion in selection for us are:
1. Carrying capacity of prospector 16 is 200 lb more than tripper S
2. Looks like kneeling thwart removed, tripper S might me more comfortable to carry 2 kids
3. We have read narrower canoes maybe unstable and tripper is narrower by 3 inches

Any advice is greatly appreciated

PostPosted: June 6th, 2021, 9:09 am 

You will find the Tripper less stable than the Prospector. A 16' Prospector will be fine for your family now for short, well-packed trips but you may quickly find that as your family grows and your trips lengthen your canoe may have to get bigger as well.
Prospectors in general are good all-purpose designs. Clipper builds a good solid product and should hold its value pretty well these days so easy enough to decision to start with what is available.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2021, 10:44 am 

Definitely not the Tripper S.

Even the 16' Prospector doesn't fit you that well unless you looking to acquire another canoe within a year or two.
The Prospector will require paddling skills from you as well as it's very maneuverable.

If initial stability is something you require then stay away from both of these.
Instead, have a look at the Cascade, Ranger, or even the Scout.
Any of these boats will give the passengers and bow person a boost of confidence by being very stable and predictable on the water.

Your questions...
1- The extra capacity of the Prospector is because of the extra flare in the ends and overall it's more volumous.
2- The Prospector will be more comfortable for everything as it's not as sensitive to slight movements or off-trim paddle positions.
3- This statement is generally correct but the boat design is the determining factor for stability. Both the Tripper and Prospector have tumblehome which reduces initial and secondary stability. The other three that I recommended have no tumblehome or are actually flared (opposite of tumblehome) to increase the initial and secondary stability when needed.

I'm gonna suggest that you rent, borrow, or test paddle any of these choices to prevent any buyer's remorse.
Time in the boat will tell you what's important to you.
Do you want stability, predictability, efficiency, etc... and do your paddling companions want the same?

Hope any of that helps.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2021, 10:14 pm 

For my two cents, I think that neither are perfect for what you describe as your needs/wants, but if a choice had to be made between the two of them, the Prospector will make you happier than the Clipper. The Clipper Tripper S is a great canoe, but not a first canoe for a family. A Prospector will be more forgiving all around, carry more, and be more stable. Try before you buy if possible. Good luck!

Ubique

PostPosted: June 6th, 2021, 10:29 pm 

Thanks a lot to all of you for your quick replies and advice.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2021, 12:26 pm 

Having run on at length before about family paddling I will try to keep this short. Or at least less long

novice_family wrote:
We are a beginner paddlers looking for a canoe for a family (2 adults and kids 5 and 7 years).
Any advice is greatly appreciated

Some of the canoe criteria, beyond weight capacity and kid/passenger stability, depends on your anticipated use. If you are planning to day paddle a single canoe will be adequate. For a while.

But, even in day paddling, guise, only for a short while. 5 and 7 year olds quickly become 6 and 8, and 7 and 9. I will bet you that before then they become dissatisfied being inactive bags of damp flour in the bilge.

If you hope they come to actually enjoy the experience, that isn’t the spot. My boys got along together in the canoe without any “He kicked me”, “He splashed me” bickereing, but quickly found the bilge ride boring and uninteresting.

If some form of easy family tripping is in your hopes and dreams, and I highly recommend it as a family activity, one canoe won’t cut it, at least not for long

We started our sons in a beamy 17 footer on day trips, but started doing easy lake paddle-in, paddle-out campers when they were 3 and 5, often accompanied by another family with similar age kids. But not four of us and gear in the 17 footer.

We bought two plebian canoes, 15’ and 16’ canoes with no thwart behind the bow seat, so we could paddle them bow backwards, young kid up front, in a paddling station narrow enough they could actually learn how to paddle. Even at/before 6 or 7 they were a propulsion help, and only got better

When the boys got bigger we flipped the canoe around bow forward and got another 5 years out of those boats before the boys went into their own solo canoes. They were by then decent paddlers, and happiest being Captain of their own ship; the size of their grins on their first solo canoe outings was the big payoff.

Between the Tripper S and the Prospector I’d go with the Prospector; it would work better as part of the eventual two-canoe family pack, and as a bow backwards solo should that desire arise.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2021, 4:47 am 

Thanks for sharing your experience Mike !

PostPosted: June 13th, 2021, 1:12 pm 

novice_family wrote:
Thanks for sharing your experience Mike !

Everyone’s canoe trip is different.

We day tripped once a month in those same kids up front bow-backwards canoes, but found our greatest family joy in doing a easy lake paddle-in campers. At least at first, as we got more comfortable the trips got longer and more challenging

Early on, particularly from a kid-perspective, it was more about the destination than the journey, and we put more emphasis on the former than the latter.

Summer camped at a site at a site a few miles paddle-in, with a shallow sandy beach for the kids to splash and gambol about in was a joy for everyone. We found such sites from Florida to Maine to the Ozarks.

Little Cove, a sandy beach double site on Lobster Lake in Maine.

ImageEK_0040 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Son Tyler and friend’s daughter Quinn, windbound on one of the Machias Lakes. They built an elaborate “Fairy Village”, with bark houses and farm fields, including a very involved fairy backstory. Beat the hell outa staring at a Gameboy.

ImageEK_0011 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

We were very fortune in having dear friends with like-age kids; not just for four sets of parenting eyes, but for someone-not-my-brother playtime companionship.

Later in life, sans our companion family, boys now paddling their own solo boats, windbound once again on an Adirondack lake. Time for some DIY beachfront miniature golf.

ImageEK_0014 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Finest family times.