View topic - LF info , help on the grand adventure ...

It is currently December 9th, 2019, 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2005, 10:55 am 

We are doing family canoe trips in N.B. , N.S, and PEI starting in Late July and continuing until late October.

For PEI, I am open to suggestions. We are staying around the Alberton area in mid August.

Our plan right now is to come in to the province along the Madawaska in mid July. We would move up in to Carleton Provincial Park, out to Bathurst, spend a little time on Shipigan, then back through Doaktown, Chipman, and Grand lake. Perhaps then up the Canaan river (perhaps paddling down to Washadamoak from the route 112 / 85 bridge), and then on to northern PEI and then to the Digby neck area in NS.

We have 4 months. We will be bringing two double sea kayaks and a 17' royalex canoe. We are open to suggestions. We have 3 little kids under 6 and have a fair amount of experience in sea kayaks and canoes - including whitewater, but as we are outnumbered by children the rivers have to relatively straight forward.

We are looking for contacts and ideas. Right now we are open to interesting daytrips, and multi day excursions in the 3-7 day range.

Please contact me at your convenience. We leave Ontario on Canada Day but have a laptop with us and will be checking email along the way, as well as compiling trip information for further writing. When we set up the blog I will post the url.

This is the start of a 14 month family adventure for us ! The countdown is on....
If you have ideas or can provide logistics - like a place to park our trailer and a shuttle get in touch.

My wife and I have taken a 1 year leave of absence from our jobs and traded a salary for a frugal family adventure. If you can help this become a reality please let us know how.

Originally I am from the Canaan River area and am looking forward to being back in the Maritimes.

:D

Cheers,
brentbeck@sympatico.ca
519 372 5821

Post subject: Family outing........
PostPosted: June 27th, 2005, 11:00 pm 

Sounds like a great experience for all involved........

For info on the NB part of the trip you could try Canoe/Kayak NB

http://www.canoekayaknb.org/

.............. there are some great folks involved and I'll bet they would help out a lot. They may also be able to supply contacts in NS & PEI.

Done a bit of touring around the Washadamoak area but it's been a few years, any advice would be dated I'm afraid. I'm from Moncton, grew up in Saint John, spent close to 25 years on the rivers there, great place.

All the best with the adventure, sounds like fun.

Chers,

Post subject: pei canoe routes
PostPosted: April 25th, 2006, 11:12 am 

hi there,

trailpeak.com has several posts on canoeing in PEI, but I would highly recommend both the West River, Winter River, and if you are into it, the Hillsborough River. That's my recommendation.

Of all three, the hillsborough takes the longest. The other two can be only 2 hour plus experiences. Beautiful areas. Lots of bird life.