View topic - A-paddlin' and a-singin' Neil Young

It is currently November 29th, 2020, 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 19th, 2009, 7:18 am 

A true Shakey clip, Neil Young sings one of his latest from "Fork in the Road" (April 2009) while paddling:

URL: Just Singing a Song

PostPosted: April 19th, 2009, 8:33 am 

All his stuff sounds the same to me. :-?

Rust Never Sleeps, After the Gold Rush, and Harvest Moon were good (not great) albums. Everything else is filler. IMHO

I actually liked his little ditty as Neil and the Shocking Pinks. I saw him in concert the year of that album and the crowd booed him during the second half of the concert when he came out with the pinks. They just wanted to hear "Old Man" for the 176384th time in their lives.

Best thing he ever did was save Lionel model railroads.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2009, 9:13 am 

Strath, Talk like that may effect your ability to cross the border. :tsk:

I do need to point out he is paddling a kayak.

Thanks for the link

Advice is a form of nostalgia; dispensing it is a way of wishing the past from the disposal--wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it's worth.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2009, 12:13 pm 

I happen no to dislike any of NY's so far. Some tunes I might like a bit less, but that's OK. As far as sounding all the same, I wouldn't agree even in the context of songs (as opposed to complex stuff like Zappa or most progressive rock, or jazz). Nevertheless I find there are still some differences in harmony construction and development. Some melodies are quite good while some other tunes operates only with raw power ('Piece of Crap' for instance and the other one on 'Re-ac-tor' that says something like "we got potatoes but we ain't got gravy"). The melodies on 'Trans' are actually quite good and his concert with the vocoder voices was pretty good also.

I like the material with the Shocking Pinks too. I'd have like to see that concert. The album with the Bluenotes has also quite a few good mellow songs.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2009, 2:24 pm 

carcassonne wrote:
I like the material with the Shocking Pinks too.
He recorded the entire album (mini though it be) in one day, and did all the mixing over-night. If I remember, he was at war with his record label and did it to piss 'em off because they said he music was becoming too country -- he was sued for producing non-commercially viable record under his contract. I'm with you, I thought it was entertaining and fresh.

Harvest was an obvious omission to the list of solid records. I think he is a bit like Dylan in the sense he is very prolific in his work but the quality varies and sometimes he seems in search of himself. I picked up Prairie Wind when that came out -- I think at least half the tracks should never have made it to the final cut. Fortunately with i-tunes we can now simply omit the stuff that we don't like and buy the tracks we do like. Technology is wonderful.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2009, 6:34 pm 

From time to time I come up with some music that I eventually record for fun. Many times you just sit there thinking about nothing and fiddling around and some notes find their way together to form some coherent stuff. That NY took a day to record something is not bad. In such a short time and with his experience, it can capture the freshness of it all. The extensive recording sessions on the contrary tends to dissipate the initial meaning of the notes. And then this is compensated by adding more stuff to maintain the attention or interest. And then it gets more or less bloated.

This being said I took a listen today to his new CD in the car and it does sound like it lacks that spontaneity that characterizes so many of his albums as far as it sounds pretty sleek and somewhat non-Neil Young. Yet again, some kind of a change.

Anyhow he's paddling and he's also paddling on the bonus DVD that comes with the CD. This might give some people the little push they need to try it out.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2009, 6:41 pm 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

Neil Young . He da man!

I love a lot of his output but a lot of it sucks too.

Think of so many of his good tunes from his version of 4 Strong Winds, Needle to Powderfinger, Thrashers and back to Sugar Mountain. I just listened to Live at Massey Hall while on a long drive and I suppose you could say, What has he done, lately? Then again, you could say the same thing about John Lennon. Great is great.

On a scale of 1 to 10 if Gordon Lightfoot gets a 4 then NY gets an 8 in my books.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2009, 7:33 pm 

hikerneil wrote:
... I suppose you could say, What has he done, lately? Then again, you could say the same thing about John Lennon.

In both cases, that's easy to answer:

1) 'Fork in the Road'

2) Not much.

:-)

PostPosted: April 20th, 2009, 9:11 pm 

I saw Neil Young in London last week, best yet of the three concerts I have seen of his. We were standing 30' from the stage, absolutely rocking!

As for the debate on whether to get rid of your compact car, NY has got the best of both worlds. A big ol '59 Lincoln Continental to possibly ward off any carnage and it produces no emissions!

http://www.totallyfuzzy.net/ourtube/nei ... ce9fe.html

Rob, don't worry about that Yak, Neil is a former tripper from camp kandalore. Long Live Neil Young!

PostPosted: April 20th, 2009, 10:18 pm 

Neil and I go back a Looong way....

Learned to play guitar to his music ( and Gord's). learned harmonica to Heart of Gold.....listened to Harvest and Live Rust too many times...Neil Unplugged is a great album. Tonight's the Night, anyone ????? University days !!!

At least one great cut on every album !!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Favourite album ???"Time Fades Away " or "On the Beach" :o

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: April 21st, 2009, 7:27 am 

When I saw the title of this thread i thought that maybe Neil was a pickin' an a grinnin' :) :wink:
I'm a NY as well as a Dylan fan from way back. I think they both run hot and cold. One of my favorites NY's, though, is Helpless:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YOo1XqKBJg .
Apart from the beautiful lyrics and the somewhat haunting melody, the reference to a Canadian place name, especially in the opening line, rouses my patriotism a bit. Not many refs to Canada in mainstream rock n' roll songs.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2009, 10:41 am 

So who has Live at Massey Hall?

If not go now, not in a few days. GO NOW and get it.

Neil at his prime! Just Neil and his piano, or guitar, no band!

Advice is a form of nostalgia; dispensing it is a way of wishing the past from the disposal--wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it's worth.