View topic - Video: Mid March Meltdown Solo Winter Trip

It is currently February 28th, 2020, 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 10th, 2011, 9:45 pm 

I still have lots of unprocessed video footage from last winter in northwestern Ontario. This link is for a new multi-part series I am working on, from a 6-day solo "Mid March Meltdown" trip I did. Hot tenting style, but man was it was sometimes too hot! But the nice thing is the drying ability of the tent on this soggy trip. Can't complain. Parts 2 & 3 to follow soon. Hope this gets folks in the mood for the hard water season! :D

Last edited by HOOP_ on September 17th, 2011, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2011, 7:37 am 

As always,another well made video HOOP. I always learn something from the videos. I hadn't ever thought about shoveling out my own parking space off a highway, but, it does make sense. Looking forward to part 2 and 3.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2011, 7:39 am 

Hey Hoop
Is that the Snowtrekker stove? If so - what size?

I'm looking for a bigger stove for my 8x10 wall tent, and I'm thinking the Snowtrekker Small Stove is the way to go... Any thoughts on whether or not the small snowtrekker will be enough for an 8x10 lightweight wall tent?

PostPosted: September 11th, 2011, 12:49 pm 

Thanks DKS!

Hi Mike,
That stove is the Snowtrekker size small stove, 9x10x19. The pipe tapers from 3 inches (stovetop) to wider for nesting. I added one extra 3 inch black steel section for the extra length I wanted on the pipe. Snowtrekker includes a 28 gauge elbow, but I bought my own replacement 26 gauge elbow from a sheet metal shop - I prefer the heavier gauge for elbows. (I would like to get a black steel elbow in 3 inch, but can't find one). I also added one section of 3 inch black steel pipe for extra pipe length. It does not nest but can still fit inside the stove. (That top pipe cap left was left over from another Kni-co order, but with its spark screen clipped off, it fits into the end of any pipe. I plan a short video showing that piece).

The tent in that video is Snowtrekker's older 8x9 model with the older 6 oz canvas, and that small stove heats it very well (coldest I have been in that tent-stove combo is -34C). However I do not think the small stove would be enough for your much bigger volume 8x10 wall tent. For my older 3-man 8x11 Snowtrekker expedition, which is wedged shaped and less interior volume than your wall tent, I use the Snowtrekker medium size stove (12x12x18). In my old 10x12 wall tent (which I have not used for several years), I used to heat it with one of Craig's old 11x13x22 stoves, and that seemed about right for it in the deep cold. So the Snowtrekker medium might do it. But your tent has high side walls, and in deep cold it may be on the cusp of the size large stove? I am not sure. If your tent was a 10x12, then I would say that for sure you would want the size large stove for deep cold conditions. However for the 8x10 I am just not sure.

The Snowtrekker/Kni-co stoves are not lightweights!! The 22 gauge steel and 5 inch pipe for the larger stoves is noticed on the sled haul.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2011, 1:26 pm 

Part 2 is now uploaded. :D

In part 2 of this Mid March Meltdown solo trip, I split some wood for the stove, and narrate some "nature notes", looking at recent woodpecker activity from several species, and beaver activity on non-typical food sources. When solo in a base camp, there is often more time to wander about and simply observe what's going on. In upcoming Part 3, I will get a bit more energetic and use the skis to explore another lake. Hope you enjoy it. :D

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2011, 8:37 pm 

Hi folks! Part 3 is uploaded.

The meltdown was so bad that the snow floor of my tent was turning to mush and the bough bed was sinking. I had to gather more black spruce and balsam fir boughs to level up the floor and fill the gaps. Normally this is not necessary when it is nice and cold. I discuss some of my bough gathering practices. I changed the order of the uploads (no skis in this one :oops: ), so back lake skiing will be in the next one. Please stay tuned for part 4. Thanks for watching! For winter campers, its time to start getting the gear out of storage and start working on it. It will be snowing soon..... :D

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2011, 10:15 pm 

Part 4 is now uploaded. :D

In part 4 of this series, I take you along with me, skiing across my base camp lake, across a portage into another lake. I show some hazardous ice conditions to watch out for. The skiing conditions are very soggy with temps well above freezing. Nothing exciting, but this is how I spend part of my winter, back country skiing across lakes. Great for physical fitness and I can look at boreal scenery forever (ya I know, can be boring on video :lol: ) Hope you get some good ski-exploring in this winter.

P.S. Snow will be flying and ice forming before you know it! Get the gear prepped and routes selected now!

PostPosted: October 4th, 2011, 10:03 am 

Thanks for the videos Hoop always great to see your offerings. It was down to 5* this past weekend in Stratford, was good to fire up the wood stove again.

Any progress on the Wintertrekker site?

Cheers,
Sleddawg

PostPosted: October 4th, 2011, 4:31 pm 

rhumline wrote:
Any progress on the Wintertrekker site?

Hi Sleddawg. Thanks!
Yep I started burning the home woodstove this weekend. But we are having another crazy heat wave here now, so I had to stop burning - too bloody hot! I can't wait for winter!

Re Wintertrekking.com site: My website partner (who has the computer expertise) is working on it. Its so technical that it boggles my mind, and so I don't know the ETA. Soon I hope. :-?

PostPosted: October 5th, 2011, 7:52 pm 

Thanks for making and posting this!

PostPosted: October 15th, 2011, 10:01 am 

Hi folks,
Part 5 is now posted. On day 4 of this trip it finally starts to rain fairly hard. I cocoon up in the hot tent, wood stove keeping me nice and dry, floating up on my spruce and balsam bough bed, and pull out a book by Arthur Karras: "Face the North Wind". I have already read his great classic book of trapping and living off the land in northern Saskatchewan in the 1930's, titled "North to Cree Lake". My canvas hot tent never leaked, and despite the rain it was a good day to be out in the bush.
Can't wait for winter!

PostPosted: November 5th, 2011, 8:23 am 

Hi Hoop,

I am one of your fan club. Nice video! Thanks, (oh and I definately like the eyewear.)

Just last week while outdoors with my coworkers we were talking about sun-blindness and our limited tolerance to it now. Granted, they were talking about after multiple deployments and that is not my case, just multiple seasons of blinding sun, [edit, not bliniding sun but, brightness.] There is an area here where I hike that is bright rock and limestone that reminds me so much of when I went for winter hikes and runs, yeowch on the eyes.] The only reason I am not really worried about when I get to Alaska next month is that they should only have 4 hours of daylight until March when they jump up to 6!

Jen