View topic - Stars

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Stars
PostPosted: January 27th, 2015, 12:55 pm 

Thanks Skeeter. By the way, does anyone know what that fuzzy oval is in the upper left part of the comet image is? Is that a nebula or perhaps the Andromeda galaxy?

PostPosted: January 27th, 2015, 2:13 pm 

OK, google earth (sky mode) tells me it's the Andromeda Galaxy.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2015, 2:36 pm 

One item that I added to my inventory is an intervalometer. It is a cable release that allows it to control the camera while you sit in a warm vehicle. Works well for time lapse images, such as you were doing for star trails. In the case of the comet, I set my camera to 15 second exposures and the intervalometer to 5 seconds. So, every 5 seconds it would take an image that was exposed for 15. Just have a backup battery for your camera with you when leaving it out in the cold.

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out. John Wooden.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2015, 2:42 pm 

Yeah, an intervalometer (is it OK if I just call it a remote?) was one of my first extra purchases to go with the camera. I just need to learn to use it better.
Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 8:48 am 

Well it seems that the red glow and disappointment I had the other night may have not been because of the street light issue I thought it was.
I will now have to go back to the same spot and shoot the same way.
It seems it may have been "red air glow" something our eyes can not see but the cameras pick up.
http://www.spaceweather.com/

Quote:
Airglow is aurora-like phenomenon in the upper atmosphere caused by chemical reactions driven mainly by solar ultraviolet radiation. Human eyes seldom notice the faint glow, but It can be photographed on almost any clear dark night, anywhere in the world.

Quote:
The wavy structure of the red glow offers a clue: High-altitude gravity waves might have altered the temperature and density of the upper atmosphere just enough to favor red. Consider it a beautiful mystery.

More info
http://www.atoptics.co.uk/highsky/airglow2.htm

So I guess I will process those images now and get some comparable ones and see what we get.

Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 9:06 am 

Thanks for that Jeff. I have seen that in many of my night images and wondered if it was faint auroras or noise pollution. I have not tried over the last few nights but I believe the moon is in the general vicinity of the comet which would pretty well wash it out.

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out. John Wooden.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2015, 3:21 pm 

Hi, thought I would add to this discussion with a stacked photo from Riding Mountain National Park.

I also use StarStax and find it quite simple and reliable. The gap filling feature is wonderful, as you always need to have a bit of write time in between intervals.

I agree that an intervalometer is a must have for these types of shots. In the old days of film you could just leave the shutter open for ages - with the digital sensor you get a bunch of hot pixels if you try and do that (unless you have $60k to drop on a new Phase One, which can take 60 minute exposures! https://www.vistek.ca/store/ProPhotoPhaseOne/280693/phase-one-xf-iq3-80mp-bundle-xf-body-iq-back-80mm-ls-5-year-uptim.aspx ).

Last edited by Kristjan S on June 12th, 2015, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2015, 3:46 pm 

here's an attempt at capturing an ISS flyby - I was in a rush and made a mistake on the intervalometer which caused it to be somewhat uneven (i.e., the camera couldn't copy the files fast enough to the card which caused a delay after awhile)

PostPosted: June 12th, 2015, 3:48 pm 

northern lights and stars:

iridium flare:

PostPosted: June 12th, 2015, 4:03 pm 

here's a video too from the above:

https://vimeo.com/74257937

PostPosted: June 14th, 2015, 7:40 pm 

Nice captures of the ISS. Awesome time lapse video as well. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 9:14 pm 

It's not really stars but I thought I'd share this time lapse video here anyway - a storm, sunset, and aurora, all in one weekend at Lac des Isles in Saskatchewan.

https://vimeo.com/176373111