View topic - Besnard Creek

It is currently December 12th, 2019, 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Besnard Creek
PostPosted: May 25th, 2016, 3:30 pm 

First off thanks to Tom Wolfe for his recent trip posting starting on Besnard Lake. Looks like a fun trip.

I'm heading up there next month and was wondering about Besnard Creek to Black Bear Island Lake. Can one wade/drag down this creek without too much problem? How about coming back upstream.

I'm getting old and lazy and looking to eliminate some portages.

Thanks for any help,
Tony.

Post subject: Re: Besnard Creek
PostPosted: May 25th, 2016, 6:56 pm 

Hi, Tony,
It's been a number of years since we did a trip starting and ending at Red's Camp on Besnard Lake. (I think the name and ownership of the camp has changed.) We paddled across Besnard Lake and were able to wade and line down quite a bit of Besnard Creek. I don't remember what the water levels were like at that time so I'm not sure if wading/lining is always possible or if we were just fortunate.
In case you're interested, we paddled west through a narrows and out into Black Bear Island Lake then went northeast into Brigham Bay. We paddled west down a narrow bay with what looked like about a 400 m portage into Hawkins Bay. The portage was a winter trail and was very, very wet after the first few meters. The trail became a floating sedge and an altogether unpleasant experience. Finally we paddled out into what we thought was Hawkins Bay when we encountered one of the longest, highest beaver dams I've every seen. It went all across the valley. It was about a 10 foot drop to a swampy, muskeg on the other side. There was no obvious channel. We did make it through and completed a loop through Black Bear Island Lake, Romaniuk Lake, then to a smaller lake with Holloway Island in it, then to a small pond and then back to MacDougall Bay of Besnard Lake.
A good trip.

Post subject: Re: Besnard Creek
PostPosted: May 25th, 2016, 7:31 pm 

Thanks Ralph, I've started few trips from there but not for some years. It's now Collin's Camp. I once spent 3 days on Hollowell Island waiting for the wind to drop. I love that Black Bear Island country and can't wait to get back there. I thought I might explore some of the smaller lakes to the south of the main canoe route like Rose Lake. I don't know if I can get back in there yet.

Tony.