View topic - Pigeon, Berens, Bloodvein access -PR304 open to Berens River

It is currently December 9th, 2019, 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 12th, 2017, 11:11 pm 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/berens-river-bloodvein-all-weather-road-1.4445368

A little too late for the 2017 paddling season - as some, including me, were hoping - but the road is completed nonetheless.

This opens a lot of options for paddlers. I already know of a group doing a Berens River fly-in / drive-out trip. Charlie Simard of Manigotagan does vehicle shuttles for those who wish to work their way from Wallace Lake or Bloodvein to the Berens or Pigeon Rivers.

Happy 2018 trip planning Atikaki paddlers!

PostPosted: January 8th, 2018, 7:30 pm 

Neil Fitzpatrick wrote:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/berens-river-bloodvein-all-weather-road-1.4445368

A little too late for the 2017 paddling season - as some, including me, were hoping - but the road is completed nonetheless.

This opens a lot of options for paddlers. I already know of a group doing a Berens River fly-in / drive-out trip. Charlie Simard of Manigotagan does vehicle shuttles for those who wish to work their way from Wallace Lake or Bloodvein to the Berens or Pigeon Rivers.

Happy 2018 trip planning Atikaki paddlers!

Interesting options. I'm wondering if looking at the new road if there is an option for a takeout earlier than the Bloodvein First Nations village? I suppose giving Mr. Simard a call is good place to start.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2018, 8:07 pm 

If you mean on the Bloodvein River, you can take out at the bridge, it's about 12.5km upstream from the Village.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2018, 8:08 pm 

Some paddlers have been taking out where the bridge crosses the river. That would knock off about 12 kilometers to the village.

Not sure where folks leave their vehicles and how advisable it would be to have them sitting there for an extended period of time.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2018, 10:29 pm 

I would recommend having your vehicle left in the village.

The safest option is to pick up Charles on your way to your put in so he can take your vehicle back to his house in Manigotagan. Close to the end of your trip, Charles drops your vehicle off at a friend's place in Bloodvein village. You could always have him drop it off at the bridge (we did that during its construction) but it could be there for a few days if Charles is busy near the end of your trip. Leaving a vehicle on the side of an infrequently travelled road can be pretty risky.

If you're flying in, I believe Bluewater shuttles vehicles as well but I don't know the details.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2018, 11:38 pm 

Bluewater leaves vehicles at the nursing station, they have a dock on the water and the building is staffed 24/7.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2018, 8:30 pm 

Good to know. Vehicle security would be a concern for me. It's good to know as well that there are shuttle options too.