View topic - Bloodvein solo questions

It is currently August 25th, 2019, 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bloodvein solo questions
PostPosted: May 27th, 2019, 11:03 am 

I am planning a solo trip on the Bloodvein in late August/early September. I have paddled from Artery to Katunigan and from Katunigan to Bloodvein village, one about 10 years ago and one about 5.

Having watched Martin Kehoe's excellent video on the Obukowin Portage and looked at the maps I am inclined to enter through Wallace Lake and come up to the Bloodvein by way of the Gammon. My other, and easier option is to fly into Katunigan and paddle down to the bridge. I am also considering possibly entering at Sasaginnigak Lake and down to the Bloodvein from the lake. I have no sense of how runnable the Sasaginnigak River is.

If memory serves the portages below Katunigan are mostly short and relatively easy whereas I will be facing some pretty tough hauls on the Obukowin route.

I will be paddling a 15' Bell Wildfire Kevlar canoe so weight will be very manageable and, being solo, my gear will be minimal. I think I can get it all in one Duluth pack. I am 72.

I would be interested in any thoughts/guidance, general and/or specific information.

Oh, how much fire damage was there last year and I am I likely to encounter it?

Thank you,
Chris Kelly
ckelly1022@gmail.com

PostPosted: May 29th, 2019, 12:43 pm 

Surprised you haven't had any replies yet.

I haven't paddled in the area for a long time, but will offer a couple of comments.

The Sasaginnigak river is navigable - leave the lake by the south channel. There are maybe half a dozen short portages along its length. It is documented in Hap Wilson's "Wilderness Rivers of Manitoba" book and in the Bedard series of maps. I traveled it a few times years ago and never had any issues.

I wouldn't choose between the Obukowin and Wanipigow/Broadleaf routes to Aikens from Wallace until closer to your start date, when up-to-date water levels are available. In wetter conditions, the Broadleaf might be a better choice. There is a good report on the Wanipigow/Broadleaf route in this trip report:

https://www.hobbydog.net/Canoeing/atikaki_2017.html

which was posted in the Manitoba routes forum by hobbydog.

Years ago, if there was enough water (and there wasn't, always) I found the Broadleaf to be quite a pleasant and scenic route. I never found the Obukowin portages pleasant.

Good luck with your planning.

jmc

PostPosted: May 29th, 2019, 1:05 pm 

JMC
What is the Bedard Series of maps?

PostPosted: May 29th, 2019, 1:25 pm 

Quoting
Historical canoe route maps are available for 13 areas within Manitoba. These maps are great for planning your canoeing adventure, when navigating these waters, Canadian topographic maps should be used in conjunction with them.

See here
http://www.canadamapsales.com/en/catalo ... index.html

PostPosted: May 29th, 2019, 1:29 pm 

Réal Bérard

The Kautunigan Map has the Bloodvein River

PostPosted: May 29th, 2019, 4:25 pm 

Brian,
Thanks for the link and correct spelling. I wasn't finding anything via google. Bloodvein is on my bucket list.
Dave

PostPosted: May 29th, 2019, 4:35 pm 

MC and Real,
Thank you for you responses. I have Hap's book and relied on it during both my previous trips and one on the Grass. It is excellent.

It will cost a bunch to fly into Kautunigan because they caoont use the Cessena. I still may do it but am leanig more heavily toward the Walace Lake entry points. Is Tea Pail as tough as Obukowin?

I am also wondering about which areas took fire damage last year.
Thanks again,

Chris Kelly

PostPosted: May 30th, 2019, 9:25 am 

https://www.gov.mb.ca/sd/forests_and_la ... e/map.html

Try the Google Earth file.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2019, 10:13 pm 

The TeaPail portage is nothing like the Obukowin three. A boggy landing right at the north end of the first section of the Teapail. Paddle a short distance and then hard packed trail for the second section to Stonehouse Lake on the Bloodvein. The Boy Scout groups from Northern Tier use it a lot unil early August. Here on CCR search "Manitoba" and then select Atikaki for more reports than show up on other searches.

If there is enough water be sure to use the Broadleaf Route to the Gammon River at Aikens Lake. Note that Hap Wilson paddled the old north channel when leaving Aikens Lake. Take the south channel for most of the water and great scenery.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2019, 8:30 am 

Martin, Thank you for the Tea Pail information. I tore my Achilles' tendon in June and am just now finally getting better so must substantially alter the difficulty of the trip.

My current plan is to now go up to Wallace Lake the second week of September and do some easier trips from there; perhaps up to the Tea Pail portage.

I would be happy to paddle with anyone who is around at the time.

I am also interested to know if anyone has information regarding the current fire conditions.

Thanks again,
Chris Kelly

BTW, I live in Missouri. Do you ever paddle any of our lovely Southern Missouri float streams?

PostPosted: August 18th, 2019, 1:18 pm 

Yikes! Achillies?? I have no idea what recovery is like for that but if you want to limit the length of portages, you could try paddling upstream on the Bloodvein from the village.Levels are low right now so upstream travel should be relatively easy. There's very little current between rapids, and there is often strong west winds on the east side of the lake, so it's common for upstream travel to be easier than downstream on the flats.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2019, 7:50 am 

Quote:
but if you want to limit the length of portages, you could try paddling upstream on the Bloodvein from the village.

While most of the portages aren't very long you're going to do a ton of them traveling upstream. Many of those quick water riffles and CI's that you hardly even noticed on the way downstream will now involve a portage.

Alan

PostPosted: August 19th, 2019, 1:23 pm 

Maybe lining and wading and attaining would be possibilities in addition to portaging?

PostPosted: August 19th, 2019, 3:01 pm 

Paddle Power wrote:
Maybe lining and wading and attaining would be possibilities in addition to portaging?

I was able to paddle up most of the swifts and some of the smaller rapids but I was unable to line very many of them. No doubt much of that was due to lack of skill but those short steep drops and steep shorelines just didn't seem very friendly to lining. Often I was able to paddle up to a rock outcropping right at the head of the rapids for a short pull over. There were a couple days were I did about a dozen portages of varying degrees by lunch break. Most of them were short and easy but sometimes you find yourself on a long portage around a long stretch of swift water that no one uses going downstream.

It's certainly doable but if I was nursing an injury I wouldn't expect it to be a cake walk. That was the most work I've ever done on a canoe trip. It was fun though and extremely rewarding.

Alan