View topic - McLennan Lake Trip

It is currently December 14th, 2019, 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: McLennan Lake Trip
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2019, 6:24 pm 

Hello all. We are planning a canoe trip at McLennan Lake this year. Exact route hasn’t been decided on yet, but we are leaning towards the “little loop”. Unfortunately our schedules do not permit a trip in August as we had hoped. I am wondering if mid September is going to be too late to go?

Post subject: Re: McLennan Lake Trip
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2019, 11:53 pm 

No, I don't think mid-September is too late. Weather forecasting is a chancy business at best. You can run into bad weather in mid-September - last year was a good example - but generally it is a very pleasant time for tripping in that area. I have been doing September trips in that area for the past twenty years and only encountered cold wet conditions a handful of times. Be aware of the shorter daylight hours when planning your travel days, have good rain gear and warm clothes in case you hit a bad spell, and go for it would be my advice. Enjoy the fall colours, lack of bugs, and northern lights.

Might see you out there.

-jmc

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2019, 8:42 am 

I've done variants of the long loop there in both October and September. October brought snow that melted by noon each day, and skim ice on near every shore, and September was rain, wind, and snow flurries every day for 12 days, but I know that during some years those months offer perfect tripping conditions. Luck of the draw really.

The McLennan area is far enough north that the spectrum of weather during shoulder seasons is very wide, so as long as you pack for cold/wet you will be alright.

In wet weather some of the portages become stream beds, so choose your footwear wisely.

As jmc said, factor shorter days into your trip planning as they will be noticeable.

But, to answer your question, no, mid-September is not too late to go. The honking of snow and Canada geese flying south overhead each night in September last year was a pleasant lullaby. What a great area for tripping; enjoy.

Ubique

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2019, 1:27 pm 

Thanks for your replies. Looking forward to our trip now. How were the bugs in September? I know there are black flies that come out during the warm days in the fall, but I’m wondering if I can get away with sleeping under a tarp. I like to rough it in the backcountry, but don’t want to risk bugs messing up my sleep.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2019, 10:12 pm 

I have encountered those "last hatch" black flies and also a few mosquitoes from time to time. But they have always disappeared at sundown, so shouldn't be an issue for sleeping out.

That said, I'm not sure I would rely on a tarp as my only sleeping option. Last year, tarp camping would definitely have qualified as "roughing it".

jmc

PostPosted: July 27th, 2019, 10:21 pm 

Zero bugs in mid-September last year. Very nice.

Ubique