View topic - Facebook page

It is currently December 9th, 2019, 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Facebook page
PostPosted: August 19th, 2019, 4:36 pm 

As a non-Facebook user, I am hoping that Paddle Power's guess - i.e. that most myccr members are happy with the status quo - is right! I for one will not be getting sucked into the Facebook world to discuss canoe tripping!

PostPosted: August 19th, 2019, 5:15 pm 

I use FB heavily but would not want a myCCR page there. Neither FB pages nor FB groups are suitable for archived forums, and as most have said, the ability to search past topics is crucial.

It would be detrimental to this website because people would start posting topics there for convenience's sake and then that potential content is lost to this archive.

There are already several canoeing groups on FB which meet the need.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2019, 5:32 pm 

I agree with most of the sentiment here. Would prefer CCR stays as a separate entity. FB tends to slowly (sometimes quickly) descend to low information/low quality info....

PostPosted: August 20th, 2019, 2:57 pm 

Nothing new to add - the value of searching old/ongoing discussions about routes, gear, techniques, safety etc. can't be replaced on FB. Just pitching in in case the MYCCR powers that be are considering this - count my vote against.

A forum we used in Vancouver is essentially being replaced by FB, it will have some benefits for reaching a wider audience and adding a bit of new interest/visibility, but it will a big loss of info for beginners on stuff like how to improve to your skills and at what water levels certain runs are runnable.

P.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2019, 5:05 pm 

true_north wrote:
As a non-Facebook user, I am hoping that Paddle Power's guess - i.e. that most myccr members are happy with the status quo - is right! I for one will not be getting sucked into the Facebook world to discuss canoe tripping!

No, no, a thousand times no, please not Facebook. Every detriment to sharing quality information above, and more.

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums/for ... everything

I understand what I am “missing” as a non-Facebook user. It’s worth it to me, if only to keep my circle of highly politicized paddling friends intact without hard feelings.

No on the trail, no on a message board, no in the shop.

ImagePC180149 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Just no.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2019, 5:45 pm 

Sorry but politics and canoes are inseparable. Just yesterday the Ford government here in Ontario announced that they are defunding conservation authorities across the province.

Politics affects every walk of life in very serious ways. Discussion of how it affects canoeing should be allowed in any canoeing forum as long as discussions are kept civil.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2019, 6:43 pm 

Very interesting, Prospector, would you have a news link... too busy to look much these days. In the past the Ontario government vs conservation authorities have had some issues, and I wouldn't mind keeping track. TIA.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2019, 6:59 pm 

I wouldn't mess with a very good thing. For all the same reasons as above. Plus the epic Moffatt thread would never have taken place on f**ebook. I just recently started using it myself, strictly as an anonymous user and I'm only on there to eff up the ai a little bit.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2019, 9:00 pm 

Here is a google news link

https://news.google.com/search?q=ontari ... id=CA%3Aen

And one good hit off it

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/l ... -1.5252717

PostPosted: August 21st, 2019, 9:01 am 
CCR Site Administrator

I have been the Admin of myccr.com for close to 13 years now, since 2006 when the WCA bought this site & have done a lot of work to organize it & make a ton of canoeing information available for all canoeists (& kayakers & many other people interested in any aspects of the outdoors).

I am also a very regular FB user & appreciate the broad reach FB has & how easy it is to post photos. But it would be absolutely impossible to have the amount of information we have available here on myccr.com, on FB & still have it organized & most especially be able to find any specific information. We have a dedicated server for myccr.com because it is a very large website.

Just to put peoples' minds at ease, I have absolutely no intention of ever trying to put this site on FB. It would be like throwing away or burying all the information & organization here....if it were even possible.

If someone (not me) from the WCA wanted to also have a FB page to inform people about myccr.com, I don't have a problem at all with that. But, as it is, I already have trouble getting any help with running this site - e.g.moderating & other jobs.

PostPosted: August 21st, 2019, 9:20 am 

I've offered to help with this site in the past but never heard back. I do stuff like this in my day job - I run a Tier 3 datacenter that is geo-redundant and zero downtime. Have been doing it for 25 years now ...

PostPosted: August 21st, 2019, 12:48 pm 

marscanoe, thanks for the work you put into this site. Much appreciated even if we often forget that someone is putting in real hours to make it all work as well as it does.

PostPosted: August 21st, 2019, 1:46 pm 

true_north wrote:
marscanoe, thanks for the work you put into this site. Much appreciated even if we often forget that someone is putting in real hours to make it all work as well as it does.

Have been following this thread. As the other end of true-north's canoe I'll echo all the non-FB sentiments. I sorta miss the BB's of the 90's.

PostPosted: August 21st, 2019, 2:28 pm 

Just an FYI that folks like Jeff McColl and myself regularly point people on Facebook to this site. Facebook isn't a replacement for MyCCR in any way.

PostPosted: August 21st, 2019, 4:03 pm 

true_north wrote:

Yes indeed!!

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.