View topic - Cooling Beers in the Thermocline?

It is currently November 18th, 2019, 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 21st, 2019, 12:31 pm 

Anyone ever done it? Is it as simple as weighing down a 6 pack with a rock, then using a throw line to tie it to a floating log? Ideas?

PostPosted: September 21st, 2019, 1:46 pm 

I have tried cooling various adult beverages (and soft drinks) by putting them in a mesh bag and a rope and lowering them into deep water off the eddges of islands in Georgian Bay. Can't say that I've been impressed with how cool they got even after being left overnight. I hoped they would have been colder, given the water temps. Maybe I just need to moderate my expectations.

But better a coolish drink on a hot day than a tepid one, I suppose.

I once toyed with the idea of using a really long rope and lowering drinks off the edge of the rocks near Tadoussac. The water is damned cold and really deep even right at the edge, but I'm not sure that whales aren't fond of beer and they're so much bigger than I am! <g>

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2019, 1:09 pm 

I have had a similar experience but so far I haven't thrown any out. :D We did have 2 broken cans this year---that alum is very thin. I think I hit it on a ledge when retrieving.

PS don't need to hit thermocline---just sink to bottom, the deeper the better.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2019, 6:19 pm 

Small lakes in September, are just not very cool; I try to convince myself I'm enjoying the British theory behind serving up a warm-ish beer, but settle for the fact that small-batch beer today is so much better than Labatt Blue from the old days ever got, no matter how well it was cooled.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2019, 7:48 am 

I have found a six pack floating in the lake in Noganosh. So yeah, keep doin it! :thumbup:

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2019, 7:56 am 

redstart mouser wrote:
I have found a six pack floating in the lake in Noganosh. So yeah, keep doin it! :thumbup:

Yeah, but too warm to drink!! :lol:

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2019, 8:39 am 

wotrock wrote:
redstart mouser wrote:

Yeah, but too warm to drink!! :lol:

Oh... we drank it! LOL

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2019, 11:30 am 

I have done it with some success, it is for sure cooler than beer not in the water. My ideal scenario is a moving brook or stream, they are generally much colder and the constant flow keeps the drinks at a decent temperature.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2019, 4:42 pm 

I miss the 2 L plastic bottles of Wells that were sold at LCBO a few years back. I would take 1 frozen. "They say"that freezing ruins the taste of beer but nobody ever refused a free cold beer-----strange, that!!

PostPosted: September 24th, 2019, 5:14 am 

It can be done to get a warm beer to a drinkable temperature in a pinch. I was on a small lake just outside the park on the weekend and the thermocline was at 30'. It was 63f on the surface and dropped below 50f after 35'. I've found a wet towel in shady spot works pretty good if you're not in a rush.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2019, 7:15 am 

Yes, this does work fairly well if you have a deep enough lake and long enough rope! For oligotrophic lakes,the thermocline can be up up to 6-10 meters down. You're best bet is going to be going to depths > 15m, where you should reach temperatures around 6-8C in summer. A small, deep and poorly mixed lake you might get temps around 4-5 degrees. For reference, Fridges are usually set at about 4 degrees, so that's what you're aiming for. Beer takes 2+ hours to cool down in a fridge, so you're also going to need to wait a while and plan this out in advance. In my opinion it's not really worth the hassle unless I've got a trip with minimal portage and a day with a layover to get it set up. Otherwise when moving sites every day its just one more thing to have to take care of in the backcountry.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2019, 9:01 am 

wotrock wrote:
We did have 2 broken cans this year---that alum is very thin.

Same thing happened to us.

Hap Wilson recommends Sapporo beer because of the sturdy cans. I find the Ontario craft beer cans to be almost tissue paper thin...

PostPosted: September 25th, 2019, 7:08 am 

Chuck Enwinde wrote:
. I've found a wet towel in shady spot works pretty good if you're not in a rush.

We were out too and a wet towel on the forehead while sitting in a shady spot would have also been a good idea!!

The beer that broke was a Czech beer. Choosing a beer based on can thickness is a bit of a new concept for me, but 'a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do' . Whatever it takes to avoid disasters like we had.