View topic - February 20 & 21 - Wilderness & Canoeing Symposium (Toronto)

It is currently September 22nd, 2020, 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 9th, 2015, 9:05 am 

Cheryl and jmc - thanks for pointing out the info, which was no more than a couple of clicks away! Now on to the next step - ordering the tickets.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2015, 10:13 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

This will be my first Symposium. Looks to be a fantastic line up of speakers. The schedule is up:

http://www.wcsymposium.com/content/2015 ... um-program

A teaser video with an intro to each speaker can be seen here

PostPosted: February 27th, 2015, 8:11 am 

Thank you Speakers, Facilitators, Volunteers and Attendees for the overwhelming support of 2015 WCS - Aleks

View the warp-up slide show at http://www.wcsymposium.com/content/wcs-2015

PostPosted: February 27th, 2015, 8:27 am 

The topics at this symposium has a very positive feel! I think we enjoyed this one more than any in the last many years. Late Sat. afternoon dragged a bit - a bit too much reflection and self reflection all at once. Friday night was amazing, and the guy that talked about the on-lining dating was hilarious. It was good to have more topics close to home as well.

Dave Hadfield was wonderful as always, although I would like the audience to speak up a bit more by singing along - his songs are really good campfire tunes. I look forward to his next album - more about flying I believe, but I am confident it will be just as enjoyable.

Thanks to everyone who scraped and stacked their plates to reduce the volume of garbage, and to those who helped to sweep the auditorium for litter and lost and found before leaving. :thumbup:

An amazing job done by all the organizers.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2015, 5:03 pm 

Are dates set for next year yet?

PostPosted: April 9th, 2015, 5:29 pm 

Thanks, Cheryl.

If I could just buy everyone a beer there, and pass it to them on the way in, I'm sure they'd sing!

I agree -- it was a very well-run event.

Dave

PostPosted: July 28th, 2020, 8:37 pm 

Anyone remember the name of a speaker that talked about how he advertised on a dating site for paddlers and managed to get 3 women to come on different parts of his summer-long journey? And he spoke again... 2019???

PostPosted: July 29th, 2020, 10:13 am 

I believe you are referring to Jason White, who spoke in 2015 and then again this year, in 2020.

From the programs;
2015: Jason White: “Finding Canoe Partners in Hard Times”
2020: Jason White – Toronto, ON “Foster River: A Solo Journey in Northern Saskatchewan”

Jason is clearly good at the talking, because yes, he was able to attract three different women to go north of the tree line with a stranger. That presentation was pretty memorable in part because the canoe trip was at least as interesting as the random characters of the women.

During his second talk, he did eventually use the word stalking as a descriptor. It was appropriate because that is what he was actually doing. Despite the title no canoe trips took place and instead it was much more like a comedy routine. I heard a few complaints about this myself. Anyway, he was pretty funny in both.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2020, 1:27 pm 

Thanks! I was hoping to locate the video of his talks that I could add to a newletter that goes out to Ventureers and Rovers that I am hoping to entire to coming out to the Symposium.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2020, 9:18 am 

More tough questions. A recording of that presentation probably exists, however; my personal impression is only to say that Aleks is not well organised in this regard.

In order to get it you will have to ask nicely. On the WCS website there is a 'Digital Archive' and I guess that the intention is to have every original recording hosted directly in here. The one you are interested in is not shown.

So, you should send an e-mail to feedback@wcsymposium.com