View topic - Temagami's Florence Lake Viewpoint Trail - It Is Now Signed!

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 26th, 2020, 10:11 pm 

Earlier this month on a trip down the Lady Evelyn via the south branch, we made a side trip into Florence Lake, considered one of Temagami’s most beautiful lakes. This reputation is helped by the fact that it is not that easy to get to unless Lakeland Air flies you in! We spent a couple of days there and, like many who visit, included a hike up to the scenic viewpoint on the west side of the lake.

We anticipated an hour or more of rough bushwhacking as the price to be paid for a great view; we were surprised to find a signed trail leading right up to viewpoint about 100 meters from the hilltop. The trail is a bit rough and it goes pretty much straight up but it was certainly appreciated, as were the four or five blue signs that showed the way.

Day 4- On Florence Lake

The above post has some maps, pix of the trail, and the view you get as a reward. It also considers older sources of information - Hap Wilson’s guide book (2004 vintage), the Chrismar Temagami map (2011) - which sometimes point those keen for a view - in another direction. With the signed trail the way to the top is much less of an ordeal.

Does anybody have any information on who put the trail in and when?

PostPosted: September 30th, 2020, 5:13 pm 

I bushwacked around where the signed trail is marked on your map and it took me more than 2 hours. Nice having it marked on the ground! I'm sure straight up is the right way to go. I returned straight down, but keeping direction on the way up wasn't easy.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2020, 9:47 pm 

I was confused before, but I think I got it now. There is another viewpoint, south of what you show on the map. It's about 480-500asl, below 530asl, which is the mountain top height. Ottertooth map doesn't show a trail to it - there's no trail - it just indicates a direction. Here's a view:

PostPosted: October 1st, 2020, 8:08 am 

Eddie, as you note your "trail" looks like the one on the Ottertooth map that goes up towards the 530m top.

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/heartland08.htm

The view of the lake in your photo shows you are further south than I was when I took the following pic from the rock face at the top of the signed trail -

That might explain why it took you more than two hours to get up there! Different map guide sources - different trails - variations of the same great view!

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2020, 8:15 am 
Wow, the elevation here reads 520-580m at the highest point, which is higher than the 'mountain' on the North-East end of O.S.A Lake, which had a crazy view. I assumed that it was much higher than your mountain but they are roughly the same. It took us quite a while to get to the top but we didn't have a trail. Nice view, indeed!