View topic - Ideas/materials for deck plates

It is currently June 18th, 2021, 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 10th, 2021, 10:06 pm 

Yes, this is exactly what I got myself into! First, there was a minor cracked aluminum gunwale that was in a bad spot to be snaggy, that got me fixing something. Once fixing one thing, I looked at around at other stuff. Decided to replace aluminum bars with wood handles and thwarts. Then, to get rid of the tired deck plates that were missing rivets, cracked and worn through - all relatively minor stuff that could've just as well been left alone. And removing the end caps got me into more, because the exposed aluminum ends are ugly and sharp. And once the caps were off, I saw some other stuff I might do, like add a grad loop, and on it goes. Guess it was a good time for a project.

I'm stuffing some wood into the ends of the aluminum gunwales to bring them to the end of the boat, and I'll put a flat deck plate on top of the works. Also glassed a wood dowel into the nose under the deck plate, so I've got a something there to screw into, and to support the nose and grab loop. So yeah, removing the end caps opened a little can of worms. Oh well.

P.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2021, 7:27 am 

yarnellboat wrote:
Yes, this is exactly what I got myself into! First, there was a minor cracked aluminum gunwale that was in a bad spot to be snaggy, that got me fixing something. Once fixing one thing, I looked at around at other stuff. Decided to replace aluminum bars with wood handles and thwarts. Then, to get rid of the tired deck plates that were missing rivets, cracked and worn through - all relatively minor stuff that could've just as well been left alone. And removing the end caps got me into more, because the exposed aluminum ends are ugly and sharp. And once the caps were off, I saw some other stuff I might do, like add a grad loop, and on it goes. Guess it was a good time for a project.

Pat, yup, that sounds familiar. Seems like any time I find some little thing that needs attention on one of our canoes I end up with A leads to B leads to C, and once I have the canoe in the shop the time is now.

I don’t need to go looking for projects (well, kinda); one of the best ways to find things that need attention is to really clean a canoe, like the way a detailer would clean a car. Nothing beats getting up close and personal with a sponge, brush and soapy water to reveal little previously overlooked things that need a little TLC. Plus I hate working on a dirty hull; if I’m doing paint or epoxy work it needs to be clean anyway, and even on smaller patch or outfitting jobs I don’t want to inadvertently smear crud into the work area.

About installing grab loops:

https://www.canoetripping.net/forums/fo ... d-improved

You can miss the floatation tanks if there is enough room at the sheerline stems, or inset a sealed tube through the tanks if you want the loops lower for lining purposes. I have come to really like having a more hand comfortable toggle on the loop.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2021, 11:48 am 

Yup, bought the boat and it was dirty, so 1) needed to clean it, and 2) decided I don't like white canoes. And then A to B to C....

P.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2021, 8:10 pm 

Attachment:
outside bow.jpg

Attachment:
inside bow.jpg

This is what I ended up doing once the old caps came off. Added some fiberglass and a dowel to inside the top/nose (to take a screw), stuffed in some random wood extensions to the aluminum gunwale-ends (to fill space under the deck plates), and put in a tube for grab loops.

I'll replace the wrap-around end caps with a thin, flat-top deck plates, which will be easy to replace as needed (when the plywood rots out, or if I want to change colour).

I'll post a photo in the discussion on re-paining when it's done (none of this will really be visible after paint & deck plates).

P.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2021, 10:29 am 

Looking forward to seeing the Magic with new paint. What type of paint and color are you planning to use?

Got an action plan? Like, wet sand the hull so the paint has better mechanical adhesion, wait to install the deck caps ‘til the paint job is done, maybe throw some varnish or epoxy on the exposed bowsprit outwale fillers first???

PostPosted: April 13th, 2021, 2:01 pm 

Deck plates will go on last. I'm going to paint the gunwales too, don't like aluminum. Roll & tip marine paint on the hull. Red canoe with black/graphite gunwales and wood parts (thwarts etc., changed out the aluminum bars).

Alternatively red canoe and do the gunwales more of wood colour too (Tremclad 'sand'), but I think I like the contrast of the darker colour.

I'll post a few before & afters in the painting thread.

Temporarily on hold due to large snowstorm.

Attachment:
snow canoe.jpg

P.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.