View topic - Can't post or pm over at canoetripping.net...

It is currently September 21st, 2021, 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 7th, 2021, 7:33 am 

... login status showing OK... and can't answer the thread 'are you having trouble posting'. Have not posted anything there in quite a while so that may be the problem.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2021, 5:32 am 

Quite a few people experiencing the same problem. The admin has IT guy on it, apparently.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2021, 7:42 am 

Patience snookums.. IT is working and the peanut gallery has to wait.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2021, 10:39 am 

I had not been able to send or receive private messages on that board for several years. Not a big deal, I could still read, post new threads and reply to posts. Most folks who needed to contact me found a way. Kinda sucked for posting “Canoe for sale” ads though.

At some point in the past day I lost the ability to log in. It appears that people who stay logged in can still post, but at least some folks who logged out can’t get back in.

I am hesitant to add to the voices contacting the admin without giving it some time and patience; a thread discussion there regarding “IT Issues” recently produced a deluge of minor complaints, “I can’t see the logo using this particular device” type stuff, and every time one thing was “fixed” it seemed to created different problems.

The IT guy must be losing his mind trying to respond to every picayune problem. With so many different “devices” and operating systems in use, and old codger computer dinosaurs like me, I’m not sure it is possible to make all the people happy all the time. Could be an “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it”.

It’s a shame, some regular contributors, perhaps getting tired of technical issues, have stopped posting to that board. Those Canoe Tripping contributors were a very knowledgeable bunch; the builders and craftsmen who took the time to document and share their stuff, making one-off carbon fiber canoes, custom paddles, DIY stove tents and such put my shade tree tinkering to shame.

I fear with the rise of the evil empire (Facebook) such paddling message boards, as with the demise of long-time local canoe clubs, may go the way of the dodo. Please don’t let that happen to CCR.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2021, 11:50 am 

Mike, the problems being experienced by you are being experienced by many people. I can no longer log in again, lot of people with the same problem. These are not minor complaints. The admin needs to hire a new IT guy, or I fear the end is near.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2021, 1:06 pm 

RHaslam wrote:
Mike, the problems being experienced by you are being experienced by many people. I can no longer log in again, lot of people with the same problem. These are not minor complaints. The admin needs to hire a new IT guy, or I fear the end is near.

I agree that not even being able to log in is a major Class A problem. Not being able to (figure out on your own how to) post photos is a Class B problem.

Not liking the font, background color or being able to see the logo when using a knock-off Android phone running iOS 14 while in a faraday case is a long ways down the IT attention-needed scale.

I understand folks are jumping ship, and are doing so both there and on what few decent paddling boards remain active.

My fear is that the hard-to-find “IT guy” has been asked to rectify too many minor issues. And that the vBulletin software has become increasingly kludgy, even with increasingly routine $ “updates”.

My social media presence is limited; I guess I missed my chance at becoming an “influencer celebrity”, a station to which I have long aspired.

Is the end near? I hope not. The Canoe Tripping board can seem a bit “clubby” at times, with some occasional sharply throw elbows from long term poster familiarity, and some old grudges and grievances that require a historical scorecard. Many of the contributors there have been paddling for decades, have been on-line for decades, and have met and paddled together, for better or worse.

I hope Canoe Tripping doesn’t collapse under the weight of its IT issues, but I am increasingly less hopeful.