View topic - fixing Evergreen Prospector chip

It is currently September 21st, 2021, 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 16th, 2021, 5:38 am 

I recently bought a used Evergreen Prospector and it has a small chip at the front that I want to fix. Does anyone know if their fiberglass canoes were standard and I can just use a gel-coat kit to fix it?

I showed a pic of the chip to a friend and they seemed to think the canoe was coated in plastic. Did Evergreen build a canoe like this? My gut says its just standard epoxy but Evergreen is no longer in business and I can't find much on the internet about them.

thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2021, 9:20 am 

That is a chip out of the gelcoat with the white of the fiberglass showing underneath.

Take a dremel tool and clean out the hole without going any deeper into the fiberglass.
Tape off the hole and fill in with gel epoxy (or like) and cover with Saran Wrap for a smooth finish.
Pull off the Saran Wrap while the patch is still green (uncured) and then let it cure well.
Touch up with a light sanding to smooth and then spray bomb to suit.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2021, 10:16 am 

Perfect. Thanks for the detailed answer. I’ve ordered a gel coat kit from the complete paddler and it’s going to be tinted forest green (from nova craft). Excited to learn how to do this

PostPosted: June 18th, 2021, 2:06 pm 

We have an Evergreen Prospector and had the Paddle Shop in London put some ribs in it after it started oil canning. Beautiful paddling hull and a bit tender as the saying goes. Pretty fast for a Prospector as well.