View topic - Mississagi River Shuttle

It is currently September 18th, 2021, 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mississagi River Shuttle
PostPosted: June 21st, 2021, 7:28 am 

Hi folks,
Looking for any suggestions on how to get in to the Mississagi River?
I know we can take the train to Biscotasing, but would prefer to miss some of the flat water, and also still need to have our vehicle at the take out.
thanks for any suggestions,
rab

PostPosted: June 21st, 2021, 10:17 am 

You could try any of these people all located along Hwy 129:

http://www.blackcreekoutfitterstore.ca/

https://www.northernskiesresort.com/

http://www.aubreyfallstradingpost.ca/

I have used Aubrey Falls Trading Post for the shuttle to Spanish Chutes (south of Ramsey) but that was about 35 years ago. A recent group used Northern Skies (Kegos), I just picked Black Creek at random because they are in the same area, there are a bunch of other outfitters/camps in that area that might be able to help you out.

It's a fairly long shuttle so will take up most of a day (for the shuttle driver) and may be somewhat expensive (it was back in +/- 1986 when I paddled the river).

PostPosted: June 21st, 2021, 11:08 am 

Thanks recped,
I've sent an e-mail out to a bunch of outfitters. All have said no so far. Haven't had a response from Kegos - heard they have new owners, but will try them again.

thanks
rab

PostPosted: June 21st, 2021, 12:49 pm 

I'm surprised they said no with the state of tourism here right now. Did they give any reason?

I drove past Aubrey Falls Trading Post recently and it appeared to be closed and for sale.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2021, 1:07 pm 

All that have responded so far have said they don't offer shuttle services. Spanish River Outfitters said it was too far.
rab

PostPosted: June 21st, 2021, 2:03 pm 

Jonathan Kelly wrote:
I'm surprised they said no with the state of tourism here right now. Did they give any reason?

I drove past Aubrey Falls Trading Post recently and it appeared to be closed and for sale.

I can't say what the exact reasons are but in my experience it's VERY rare for any of the fishing/hunting lodges to have ANY interest in paddlers.

I got lucky last year near Pickle Lake and managed to get a short shuttle from Oz Lake Lodge, very nice lady there who has run the place for many years (her in-laws have a separate lodge on Lake St Joseph). She had never done a shuttle for paddlers before, don't know if she will ever do one again although she seemed quite interested in the whole concept of paddling which was completely foreign to her even though she is located in one of the best areas for paddling in all of Ontario.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2021, 2:19 pm 

I used Kegos Camp for this shuttle last summer and they were great! I would totally recommend them!