View topic - Where to find permethrin in Canada?

It is currently September 21st, 2021, 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2021, 5:52 pm 

Besides using on clothing permethrin apparently works well on all your packs gear bags including food bags wear it’s claimed bears and other varmints are also repelled by taste or odour. Going to give it a try as soon as I get a source.

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2021, 12:24 pm 

Not sure about its effectiveness as a bear repellent but we've been spraying our tent fly and our tarp with it for the past few years. We think it has a halo effect around the tent area; we notice less bug activity than before.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2021, 12:40 pm 

I've had good success with this product:

https://thekoregarden.ca/product-tag/permethrin/

PostPosted: June 25th, 2021, 9:53 pm 

Question for any cat owners who use permethrin here...

I understand that permethrin is extremely toxic to cats. My wife works as a veterinary assistant and she's seen a couple of horror stories. In one case someone washed clothing home-treated with permethrin, and after drying that load, the cat sat on the dry laundry for a while - and got very, very sick.

So if I were to use it on clothing, it would be treated outside, left outside, and packed outside before going into the car. Then, laundered on the road home somewhere, probably twice.

I haven't actually asked a vet about it yet, but we do have a cat, and I'm worried that permethrin might not be such a good idea on clothing. Tents wouldn't be an issue, but clothing very well might be. Can anyone speak to that?

PostPosted: August 5th, 2021, 7:59 pm 

Hey PacketFiend - cat owner here and I use permethrin on a pair of pants. I have read the same, and I have also read that permethrin can remain effective in clothing even after washing. I believe I read the latter in the Sawyer pamphlet, so that might be a bit of advertising hype but I don't want to risk it.

I never bring these pants indoors. The kids call these my "special" pants, which they are: really cheap green garbageman pants ("Big Bill") that are used only for trips to the bush. As you can likely imagine, the special pants develop quite a ... um ... patina over time. The blend of chain oil, exhaust, and general filth makes them extra special. So they live on a hook in the garage. If I become concerned that they are too dirty I just soak and hand-wash them in a tub in the driveway. Voila: clean enough for the dress code in my garage and the bush. Or, sometimes, I just wait until the concern goes away on its own. :D

PostPosted: August 6th, 2021, 10:59 pm 

Okay - we don't have a garage. So, leave the permethrin and treated clothing outside?

(And BTW, where do you get the damned permethrin?)

PostPosted: August 7th, 2021, 6:47 am 

I don't bring treated clothing anywhere that pets could get access to it. For me, that's the whole inside of our house. I really don't have any knowledge about what level of exposure is the tipping point for people or pets so the garage is my solution. It's possible that storing treated items in a sealed container an indoor room that pets don't have access to might be okay but I really don't know.

I got a couple bottles of Sawyer in the states a few years ago. I'm almost out, also trying to find it in Ontario. Another reason why I don't bother washing those pants too often, just trying to stretch out the effectiveness of the few treatments I have left.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2021, 8:01 pm 

PacketFiend wrote:
The link I posted last year is no longer valid, as TSC has rebranded to become Peavey Mart, and in so doing, broke all their links.

https://www.peaveymart.com/animal-equin ... ide/222169

They still have it in a 5% solution though.

I would stay away from this stuff. It's been mixed with an oil so it can't be further diluted with water.