View topic - Big Trout Lake Loop With A Twist?

It is currently September 21st, 2021, 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 10th, 2021, 9:54 am 

Hi everybody, I'm looking for a bit of advice about a twist in the loop, which I can't seem to find too much information on.

I'm planning on doing the typical Big Trout Loop in September. I'd like to do the route counter-clockwise, so that we are hitting The Joe Lake portage on a Wednesday, not a Sunday.

So far, I've got night one on Burnt Island, and night two on White trout. Instead of turning south from McIntosh Lake to Tom Thomson Lake on day 3, I would like to paddle west from McIntosh to Brule Lake. Stay on Brule, or Potter Lake for the last night, and then paddle out to Canoe lake. One reason for this is so that I can avoid the long Portage into Tom Thomson, as my canoe is just an absolute pig to carry. Also, I've done the Joe Lake, TeePee Lake route enough times, I'd like to get some new scenery in.

Does anybody have any thoughts on the portages from McIntosh to Brule?

There will be two of us, one canoe. We will hopefully be single carrying the portages. We're seasoned enough paddlers, but have mostly been the 'paddle to site - chill for two nights - paddle out' kinda campers, and this will be our first loop officially.

Thanks all for reading and for anybody who may have any info/advice/horror stories on the last part of our trip.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2021, 10:38 am 

My friend Bob and I did that loop back in 2008 although we did it in the opposite direction so keep in mind that this information is over a decade old.

Potter creek can be low water especially later in the year so I encourage you to give Algonquin Park a call and verify water levels. You can sometimes avoid the portages along Potter Creek by carefully walking your canoe (we had to go upstream, you would be going downstream).

We had a wicked storm while camping our first night although not really a problem in the hammocks we were using.

I recall it being a pleasant way to travel with a good mix of smaller portages and shorter paddles until we reached McIntosh Lake.

BTW: If you have a heavy boat I am also wondering if it's relatively hard to damage? If so then you might want to look into canoe poling since you could use that skill to move down Potter's Creek if there is enough water depth for poling but not enough for paddling.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2021, 12:07 pm 

Portages from McIntosh to Brule and further to Canoe lake are probably longer than the one you are trying to avoid. In low water it could be even tougher. It's a short trip you are planning and may be renting a light canoe will make a big difference.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2021, 10:47 am 

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

I've gone up Potter's creek a few years ago when I stayed on Rainbow Lake in autumn, and the water wasn't bad up to the portage.

A call to the rangers will be in order once we get loser to the date!

Thanks again,
D

PostPosted: June 29th, 2021, 12:40 pm 

The portages beween Mcintosh and Brule are pretty easy. I've caught Bass in Straight Shore. The ports between Brule and Canoe are also pretty straight forward. Nothing to be overly concerned about. But water levels in Potter Creek can be a problem. It dries up quickly when water is low.

This book was written about your loop, worth picking up!

https://secure.baytides.on.ca/algonquin ... 00118.html

PostPosted: July 24th, 2021, 8:37 am 

Thanks, Martin, it just arrived the other day. Looking forward to the read :)