View topic - 2004 Summer Trip Log

It is currently May 27th, 2020, 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

What is your favorite thing about springtime paddling?
Poll ended at December 3rd, 2004, 11:05 pm
no bugs 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
not many people 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
you have to cuddle to stay warm 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
river temperature makes an excellent beverage cooler 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
its either that or go for dinner at the in-laws 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
keeps me from hanging out on myccr and posting messages 'about' canoeing 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
other (you may specify below) 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: 2004 Summer Trip Log
PostPosted: May 17th, 2004, 11:05 pm 

Let's hear those trip reports as they roll in! Anyone out there laid paddle to water in SK yet? Was out last week, and caught a small wave by the PA airport.

cheers,

robpw

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 18th, 2004, 10:31 am 

Made er up to Sluice Falls on Saturday. It was highly deadly. A fair bit of ice around still, though. The odd push-over worked just fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 18th, 2004, 3:41 pm 

We paddled a little river by our house on Sunday. Probably head out again tomorrow too work off a bit more of the winter rust. Just trying to work out the kinks as we leave Saturday for 2 weeks on the Churchill and Weaver River.
Good to hear most of the ice is off as we were a little bit worried.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 18th, 2004, 3:43 pm 

Hey Vern;

How were the water levels? Are they up this year? I heard you guys got a fair bit of snow up there this year.

Derrick S

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 18th, 2004, 3:44 pm 

Actually, most of the ice is off in the fast water channels, but that's it!!!

I'd phone Ric for some intel as to the rest of it. I'm guessing you'll get stuck if you leave this saturday, but I don't know where you are actually going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 18th, 2004, 3:48 pm 

Yeah we are headind up threw little devils and beyond. Usually once the channels open up the main lakes are not too far behind. At least thats what I have experienced in the past. If we have too wait it out for a couple days we will.We would rather be there with some ice than here with nothing. I can't think of a better place to be stuck.

We actually thought about pushing it back a week, but with work it was now or not until July. Can't wait that long.

Derrick S

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 18th, 2004, 7:09 pm 

River Rats wrote:
Can't wait that long.

I hear ya. Neither could I, so we dragged the boat over the ice in a few spots to get where we wanted to. I think Hayman should be open by the weekend. Hope you have a good one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 19th, 2004, 11:20 am 

I guess we'd be out if that damned ice left that damned lake...and just as the temperature and our hopes rise and we see a few spots of rain, the forcast of chillier conditions dampens our spirits more than the drizzle did the ice.

But funny thing Vern, I was up at Sluice Falls on the Churchill last Saturday too...spooky coincidence? Deadly indeed, though not for the fish in the area!

Anyway, we saw a couple of canoes on the South Saskatchewan River in Saskatoon on April 10th...just paddling on the flat, but with the admirable stroke rate they were maintaining, I'd guess it was spring training. Maybe that was forum-members "passe partout" (who live in Saskatoon) getting ready for the continuation of their cross-canada trip?

As for what I like about spring paddling...well...nothing really...it's frequently cold and rainy and still looks dead brown after winter. But when the leaves start growing on the birch trees, cryogenic-Canada comes back to life and all is forgiven. But I'm voting anyway...can't take our democratic privileges for granted now, can we?