View topic - David Lake in Killarney....

It is currently September 19th, 2019, 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 26th, 2004, 8:34 am 

Looking to do a quick trip to Killarney next weekend. Any recommendations on David Lake campsites? Anyone ever camp on the point (site 104)? Also, is it worth doing the portage to Boundary Lake and a jaunt up Kirk Creek? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 26th, 2004, 10:36 am 

If you just mean to explore a bit, either upstream or downstream of Boundary Lake, go right ahead. That can be fun. Just don't expect to get anywhere.

If you mean to go west, down Kirk Creek right to Three Narrows, I do not recommend it. The lower stretch should be passable but the upper stretch (heading west from Boundary Lake) very probably is hopeless. I did it in about 1979 with my wife despite warnings from the park office that it was impassable. We were lucky - water levels & beaver ponds made it barely possible. If there were a few less ponds or a few more fallen trees, we might still be there. :o

Richard Todd did it about 10 years earlier. I've never met another person who has. See http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/view ... kirk+creek

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 26th, 2004, 11:09 am 

Killarney 104 very heavily used as base by everyone else on David Lake to hike up Silver Peak. We used H34 great big site. Parky not to happy but we did not see any hikers. (first week in October a few years ago.) We hiked up Silver Peak from it. Portage to Boundry from David easy and the lake is nice for a day trip.
Stay safe
OAF

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 26th, 2004, 5:59 pm 

Three of us did the lower portion of Kirk Creek from the south end of the second portage out of Little Mountain Lake, to Boundary Lake, with 16" Kevlar Scott and a kayak back in August of 1991. It was two days after a rainstorm and the water was up. The first 2 kilometers were really tough. We dragged the boats over grassy fields full of holes and logs. The creek(sic) was anywhere from a foot deep and three feet wide, to three feet deep and a foot wide. When it was navigable, we had to duck under numerous fallen pines. After the first 2 km, we came to a couple of hundred meters of shallow rapids about 15ft wide, which we walked the canoe up. The creek narrowed as it came to a boulder bed. The boulders got larger and larger till we were hopping (stupidly) from one to another. The creek disappeared for a while at the bottom of eight foot high boulders. Then we reached the first of seven or eight liftovers and beaver dams which are not marked on the park map. When we reached the end of the crrek, there was a large boulder about ten feet high which we had to scale on the shoulders of one another and haul the boats and packs up over with ropes. Took us about 4 and a half hours to do the four km. It was tough, but we felt great afterwards. We still recall it fondly when the three of us get together.

Jean-Paul Satyr

PostPosted: September 27th, 2004, 4:50 am 

Carls wrote:
Looking to do a quick trip to Killarney next weekend. Any recommendations on David Lake campsites? Anyone ever camp on the point (site 104)? Also, is it worth doing the portage to Boundary Lake and a jaunt up Kirk Creek? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Carl

My Wife and I would both reccomend The canoe site on Boundary, great views of the white ridges. Well worth the walk and incrediblely quiet as no one passes through the lake going anywhere.

We took a quick look at the Waterfall leading west into Kirk creek from Boundary and decided to go and filter water instead.

Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 27th, 2004, 9:02 pm 

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond.

Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 28th, 2004, 3:29 pm 

If you can't get 104 try for 102 or 103. Both share fairly easy access to the trail. Just hike out back to the top of the ridge. The wife and I stayed on 102 in August. A very nice, level, site on a semi exposed point. It has a commanding view of the lake with lots to explore "out back".

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 8th, 2004, 2:59 pm 

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We returned from a weekend trip on Sunday. As a first timer in Killarney I found the geography to be a real change of pace from Algonquin. We stayed at site 102. Nice campsite with some real nice sculptures out back. The climb to the ridge was nice and the climb to Silver Lake even more so. Two things that bothered me were the number of "squaters" along the 102 -105 compsite shoreline. A lot of folks wanted to get to Silver Peak and wanted to walk up directly from camp, so they camped on points and off in the woods. Also the new cabin builds on David were a downer. Hearing and seeing new cabins being created at the shoreline was disturbing. Guess these folks have some "grandfathered" rights to land they "owned" prior to the Park's creation.

Our original route was to take us from Bell to Balsam to David. We decided on a bit of an adventure by taking the "shortcut" from Bell to Chain to Balsam. The route was as advertized: Low water. We had to pull though on a couple of places. Otherwise it reminded me of the Petawawa or parts of the Tim.

Not sure how true this is but the Outfitter told us Elk had made it into the Park from a herd planted to a staging area south of the park. Anyone ever encounter one?

Anyway, Thanks again for all your assistance.

Carl
[/img]

Post subject: Sculptures
PostPosted: October 16th, 2004, 1:10 pm 

Just curious Carl. Is this one of the sculptures you mentioned?

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 16th, 2004, 1:27 pm 

Yep... But he (assuming it was a he...lol), offered no reply when I told him to dress appropriately for the weather. It's good to see that when you saw him he wore a hat which prevents heat loss. Unlike your encounter, when we shook hands he was stone cold....

The other feature of the site that I liked was the "walkway" to the privy. Nice touch.

Thanks for the pic...

BTW - the "cottage" across the campsite has been in the owners family since the 30's. The owners brother-in-law is building a cottage down the lake closer to Balsam portage. I had a difficult time with the electric saw and pounding noises going on when I passed through, not to mention the cabin at the waterfront. Oh, well.... Best to entry from Bell Lake next time...

Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 16th, 2004, 9:51 pm 

Carls wrote:
The owners brother-in-law is building a cottage down the lake closer to Balsam portage.

Really??? On the same island? I am very surprised if there's actually another private parcel on David Lake on which anyone can build. But I'll look into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 16th, 2004, 10:10 pm 

It's not on the same parcel, it's much closer to the Balsam Lake portage. Looked like 2 buildings at the water's edge. If you were coming from that portage going into David Lake, it would be about .5km on your right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17th, 2004, 8:41 am 

Thanks, I'll see what I can find out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17th, 2004, 11:02 am 

Carls wrote:
Yep... But he (assuming it was a he...lol), offered no reply when I told him to dress appropriately for the weather. It's good to see that when you saw him he wore a hat which prevents heat loss. Unlike your encounter, when we shook hands he was stone cold....

The other feature of the site that I liked was the "walkway" to the privy. Nice touch.

Thanks for the pic...

Hi Carls,

FYI the “sculpture“ you saw is an Inukshuk (which is an Inuktitut word). Basically an Inukshuk is a pile of stones arranged in the shape of a human. They are traditionally used by the Inuit and Tuniit across the Arctic to show directions, assist in caribou hunting, mark a place of importance or to warn of danger. They are a common site in the Arctic.

If you see one it is an inukshuk (singular)... if you see more... then you have seen inuksuit (plural).

I noticed that many people have built small ones on top of boulders or rocks lining the highway as I travelled through northern Ontario last August.

Dianne

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17th, 2004, 11:08 am 

Unfortunately, people have also built them all over the place adjacent to the La Cloche Silhouette Trail where they are often mistaken for trail cairns, resulting in people wandering off course now and then.