View topic - what kind of wood to use?

It is currently December 15th, 2019, 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 12th, 2005, 6:47 pm 

Hi

I am making a laminated ww paddle and I am not totally sure what kind of wood to use. I have been using a book (Canoe Paddles by g. warren and d. gidmark) and it has been great I have all ready made a prototype to tune my skills and get the shape I wanted.

I have decided to fiberglass and epoxy the blade so that means I can get away with a nice light wood for the blade. I want the shaft to be laminated to. I think :-? All I know is a laminated shaft looks better.

But this is NOT A PADDLE FOR LOOKS I am going to use it hard so I want a wood that will last but I want it light too I know there is no such a wood that is the best of all worlds ( light and strong) but I want to be as close as possible

I am interested in all kinds of ideas

And also what kind of adhesives should I use I figured west system

Thank you for all your help

Brian Sexsmith
[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2005, 7:43 pm 

If you plan to glass the blade then I agree go light on the wood in the blade. White cedar, red cedar, white pine, redwood basswood.. all work pretty well for the blade. Make sure you check the direction of grain so that it eases getting a nice smooth finish before you put the glass on. I'd also put a strip of harder wood on the very edge like ash or oak. You can make that strip pretty thin... (say 3/8 inch).

As to the shaft... Generally you'll find an odd number of laminations. It's easier to use three. I use a single 1 inch by 1 inch piece of cedar and laminate 1/4 inch pieces on the front and back of the shaft. These will provide a nice strong compressional and tensional sides of the blade on a power stroke.

PK

Last edited by pknoerr on July 12th, 2005, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2005, 7:50 pm 

Brian, check these sites..........

http://www.redtailpaddle.com/
http://www.greyowlpaddles.com/

... there are some great examples in here and they mention the wood types available. Might help out a bit.

I've got a solid black ash beaver tail that I really like. If you can find a pice of black ash as the core laminate it would give you some strength.

Keep us posted......... sounds like fun.

Cheers,