View topic - Thlewiaza

It is currently September 27th, 2020, 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Thlewiaza
PostPosted: February 24th, 2006, 12:00 pm 

Has anyone done the Thelewiaza?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 24th, 2006, 9:32 pm 

Bill Layman's done it a couple of times...I'm sure he's got a trip report somewhere on the web...

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 24th, 2006, 11:13 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

http://www.townoflaronge.ca/features/blayman/stories/

Barbara

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 25th, 2006, 12:28 am 

Thanks Tom-O and Barbara. Actually I had already read Bill Layman's accounts. I am wanting to know what others say about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 27th, 2006, 1:00 pm 

Wonderful trip. Good views, widlife, river, lakes, camping, fishing, etc.
Several options for starting locations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 4th, 2006, 8:39 am 

i have been down the thlewiaza river many times. the first time to hearne bay and then to dalphe lake and back to the river. several times all the way and up the coast. another time to hearne bay and then over to the wolverine via baralozan lake. once of the times i also managed to migrate over the windy lake and windy river (downes route)r. i have also left the thlewiaza river at sealhole lake several times and managed to go to the kognak just above white mountain lake and hawk hill lake. once i left the kognak at roseblade lake and went up to south henik and then over to the noomut and down the maguse. another time managed a solo all the way down to the bay and up to arviat. the great thing about the thlewiaza is that it offers many opportunities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 4th, 2006, 10:27 am 

David Demello-
Thanks very much for your rresponse. Yes, I see on the map that there are a lot of possibilities of differant trips. I am interested in seeing wildlife and evidence of the Inuit and Dene peoples. I have heard reports of large herds of caribou. Has that been your experience? Who do you fly with?
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 4th, 2006, 3:02 pm 

Try "No Man's River" by Farley Mowat. Not alot of resources but sure will give you soem insight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 4th, 2006, 10:28 pm 

Quote:
Thanks very much for your rresponse. Yes, I see on the map that there are a lot of possibilities of differant trips. I am interested in seeing wildlife and evidence of the Inuit and Dene peoples. I have heard reports of large herds of caribou. Has that been your experience? Who do you fly with?

the only time i saw large numbers of caribou was when i was on the tha-anne river after it displaced the kognak and was heading south through some lakes, just before a left turn (heading downstream). large numbers were roilling the water. interesting because they just stood there roilling the water. maybe the bugs bothered them. another time i saw near that same area, i saw about 5 or 6 wolves trying to cull a small herd. watched them work the herd over lunch on the other shore. other than that i only saw caribou from the mud flats along the way to arviat. perhaps too early in the season and the gatherings hadn't started. on the seal, i have seen lots of polar bear. sometimes a bit too close. once when we were landing to camp i saw a large white rock move. we drifted down stream and a white bear emerged from the bushes. also if you do the seal river's "9 bar rapids" and stop at the hyrostation on the left below it there is an account of a white bear meandering the area while some canoeist watched from the safety of the stattion. also if you do the tha-anne/thlewiaze you will see a shack on the left as you reach the bay. it was there that a group from manitowish climbed on top of the roof and watched a white bear lumber around the building. might have been the same bear that we say while waiting for the tide on some rocks about 1.5 miles from shore, just north of the outlet. of course you will see seals on both the thlewiaza and seal rivers. quite far upstream. also saw a white wolf on the north seal, white against green, interesting. black bear will find you, and your food.

i saw a lot of caribout on the dubawnt/kunwak/kazan/thelon rivers. often large numbers.

just upriver of this:

which is upriver of this:

a place to camp on dubawnt (grant lake esker)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 4th, 2006, 11:38 pm 

Quote:
Who do you fly with?

points north near wollaston lake to kasba. usually i make the run to the thlewiaza via wollaston lake (hidden bay by road) going down the cochrane river crossing over to the thlewiaze at the apex. i do the 'water route' that downes talks about in sleeping island. i have also gone up the cochrane river to the apex and water route and start at kinoosao, sask (by road).

the problem with points north is that you must either leave your vehicle there and make it back by a local flight out of la ronge or take your vehicle to la ronge air port, leave it and fly to points north. both have logistic problems of leaving gear and or people why either returning after trip or before trip starts. with hidden bay, i leave gear and partner, my wife, while i drive back to la ronge air point to leave car and then make my way back by holding a sign ($100.00 to hidden bay). at kinoosao, i leave my gear and wife at the 'bronks' hotel in lynn lake take vehicle back to thompson fire station. leave itinerary with firestation and take bus back to lynn lake. i make arrangement with lynn lake esso to truck gear and people over to kinoosao for about $150 or $200. it's a sixty mile ride one way over a sand ridge. up river has its challenges but i have done it at least 4 times. watch for the black bears. they are 1st class thieves.

you might also think about a flight out of thompson to lac brochet. makes it logistically simple and saves reindeer lake and some upriver travel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2006, 11:57 pm 

David-
Thanks for all of the information. You have obviously spent a great deal of time in the area. I was thinking of flying in to Sealhole Lake and beginning a trip there. It sounds like most of your trips started somewhere up-river from Nueltin Lake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2006, 3:58 am 

sealhole would be a place to start. it would eliminate all of the upper part of the thlewiaza river. since i do not know of your level of skill/experience, i would say that that section (below sealhole) of the river is not too bad (about two or three carries.

all my trips to the thlewiaza have started either on wollaston lake or reindeer lake. road access. from wollaston i have managed to get to the dubawnt via the fond du lac and chipman portage. once i made to to kasba via cochrane river to bannock lake and then to kohn and numin lakes and many island lakes etc. at least 34 carries in 4 days of punishment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2006, 9:21 am 

Wow - Now you've grabbed my interest.

What source did you have for the Bannock-Kohn-Numin-Kasba Route?

Here it is on tyrrell's map:

It's the unannotted route with the string of lakes. Ttyrrell had a native map of this route, but I didn't look hard enough to find it and post.

Here's the route on Google Earth:

I don't have maps in my office, so I use the web - Google Earth is awesome, but you need lake and river names. I found this site in the process, which is incredible:
http://gdr.nrcan.gc.ca/mirage/

I'll be able to find anyplace in Canada now with these two sites.

I like Canoeing into the Unknown - but there really aren't many out-of-the-way traditional watershed crossing routes listed in this book. I don't necessarily want to have route descriptions for my trips, but it is nice to know that a route is possible.

Any other gems you'd cared to mention?

BTW, My plans this summer are really fuzzy b/c my wife needs to finish her degree, but if we go north - it seem'd to me that the easiest apporach is to fly into Lac Brochet (or Tadole) with a pakboat. Originally I'd hope to fly into Kasba, but we can't gaurantee the time to do a trip - and flying in there requires pre-planning. Conceivably, we (or I) wouldn't have to commit to a trip until a couple weeks before leaving if we have a pakboat and can fly into Lac Brochet (egress via the Bay).

-Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2006, 9:58 am 

And regarding caribou - this is a great site:
http://www.arctic-caribou.com/

You'll see why seeing large numbers caribou on the Thelwiaza during the summer is unlikely. The Qamanirjuaq herd migrates through this area too early in the canoeing season (Mar-May), and doesn't pass back through until late August-September.

You'd only get the caribou that migrate back that far south after calving - and it seems like that don't always migrate that far south during the summer migration.

From looking at the maps, it does seem like the Th-anne would better for seeing caribou in the summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2006, 6:53 pm 

the tha-anne is a better river for seeing caribou. it is also more attractive. but it is a dangerous river compared to the thlewiaza, especially as luste indicated. after the abandoned mine and you head north until the apex. after that not bad until it heads east after going south through some lakes. that is where i saw lots of caribout and wolves. it is not a sister river.

one lake i found was called mitatut lake on the koh/numin/manyisland watershed. i was going upstream so it was after bannok and before kohn. my maps are in maine and i am wintering in az. sorry