View topic - Nahanni National Park Expansion

It is currently June 19th, 2021, 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 31st, 2006, 8:07 am 

As some of you may know, there has been a drive to expand Nahanni National Park to include the entire watershed. To the best of my knowledge, this would be the first time an entire watershed has been preserved in Canada. This is particularly important at this time, as there are several mining claims within the watershed that are be renewed due to the increase in prices for the metal.

Right now the federal government is consulting the public on park expansion, so now is an excellent opportunity to push for this. CPAWS (Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society) has launched a campaign called Nahanni Forever that includes an online petition and an form to facilitate sending Rona Ambrose an e-mail indicating your support for the expansion. As well, Parks Canada will be having open houses across Canada on this subject, so that would be another excellent opportunity to show your support. Unfortunately the schedule for that hasn't been released.

Anyway, I think it's in most people's interests here to see that area preserved as well as it possibly can, so please take a minute to add your name, and if you are willing to take a bit more time as well, fire off one of their form e-mails, or better yet, personalize it and fire it off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2006, 9:50 am 

Thanks for the information.

The site also has a link to send a letter the Minister of Environment. Another good idea (if you have the time and interest).

Last edited by idylwyld on October 31st, 2006, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2006, 12:54 pm 

On Park's website there is good info on the park and related studies and processes, including the long-proposed expansion:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/nt/nahanni/na ... ul1g_e.asp

There is no information yet on how to provide input at open houses etc., but you can review the management plan and there is a contact link to submit a comment form.

PY.

Last edited by yarnellboat on October 31st, 2006, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2006, 1:02 pm 

idwyld your link is NFG.

Advice is a form of nostalgia; dispensing it is a way of wishing the past from the disposal--wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it's worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2006, 1:30 pm 

rob in angus wrote:
idwyld your link is NFG.

thanks rob, don't know why it doesn't work. To get to the page with options (petition, letter, etc.), go here:

http://www.nahanniforever.ca/

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2006, 2:27 pm 

As a result of this post and another on funding conservation groups, I've just upped my CPAWS donation from an annual membership to a monthly contribution.

I like CPAWS' structure, national with regional chapters; its reputation for research and cooperation, industry and government respect them; and, between the Nahanni and especially the boreal campaign, there's a lot going on that's of interest to me as a paddler.

Thanks for starting these threads, they've done at least a tiny bit of good.

PY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 17th, 2006, 8:31 am 

Thought I would give this a pump..

Saw the flyer yesterday at MEC and am looking forward to the open houses, although they haven't yet been scheduled it seems.

Not sure what the site contained when this thread was started, but you can now sign a petition and send an email to Rona Ambrose, the PM, etc.

http://cpaws.org/nahanni/

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 16th, 2007, 6:29 pm 

I just received a really interesting and attractive brochure from Parks Canada on the Nahanni Expansion. It contains pullouts on a Nahanni Dall Sheep Study, Grizzly Bear Research, Woodland Caribou Research, the North Karst, and Glacier Retreat Monitoring. It contains updates on the Deh Cho and Sahtu processes, protecting heritage and traditional lands of the Dene and Metis, and statistics on visitor spending, park expenses, and such. It's interesting to note that many of key ranges and survey areas for the Dall Sheep study are directly in the vicinity of the proposed Prairie Creek mine development. It looks like a lot of detailed work and scientific justification for what many of us already know ... the Nahanni watershed is unparalleled in its historical significance and natural beauty, and deserves full protection as a canoeing and heritage Park and ecosystem for future generations. The brochure (titled "Taking Care of Nah'a Dehe") is the first newsletter of the proposed expansion of the Nahanni National Park Reserve. If you'd like to receive a copy, or be added to the list for future updates, you can write to:

Steve Catto, Park Establishment Officer
Nahanni National Park Reserve
P.O. Box 348
Fort Simpson, NT X0E 0N0
Phone: (867) 695-3151
E-mail: Nahanni.Expansion@pc.gc.ca

or

Anna Rowe, Communication and Consultation Officer
Parks Canada
P.O. Box 1166
Yellownife, NT X1A 2N8
Phone: (867) 766-8464
E-mail: Nahanni.Expansion@pc.gc.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 18th, 2007, 3:46 pm 

I too received that information in the mail last week. It was very interesting and well-done and the intro letter mentioned that further maps and details for commenting on the final park boundaries would be mailed in the near future.

I'm a bit confused since I thought that the federal government announced the park expansion a few months ago. I also seem to recall that the entire watershed was to be protected with the exception of the Prairie Creek zinc mine? As you mention, this area was shown to be prime sheep and grizzly habitat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 18th, 2007, 5:03 pm 

The process/wording has been a little confusing, in part because the media and the NGOs, and also the politicians, simplify the story.

First, a while ago, the gov (re)stated it's commitment to getting this done. Then, recently, it announced that it would set aside the lands for the expansion. All significant steps towards expanding the park, but not an announcement that the expansion has been completed.

They will now go through some additional round(s) of consultations on where to draw the boundaries, probably as quickly as they can justify; and then various working groups or advisory group or committees will make recommendations; and then various agreements will have to be negotiated.

So, while it's exciting to see progress and announcements, there's lots of work ahead and, despite best intentions, no firm deadline can be given on how long consultations and negotiations could take. Then I'm sure there's more process on actually getting the new boundaries legally added to the proper legislation etc. Give it a couple of years.

PY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 19th, 2007, 10:30 am 

Thanks. It must have been the setting aside of land that I recalled and confused with a final boundary.

It's good to know that there is still an opportunity to provide input.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2007, 3:53 pm 

Hi All:

This is it! A rare chance for us to influence the course of conservation history in a concrete and meaningful way! And the best way to do it is to attend the Parks Canada Open House on the Nahanni National Park expansion this Thursday night, November 1st, at the Ottawa Public Library Main Branch on Metcalfe Street.

The Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society (CPAWS) is encouraging as many people as possible to attend this crucial meeting. If enough people show up to support protecting the entire watershed, the Nahanni National Park's boundaries could potentially be expanded to include this entire area. This is amazing news . But it's now or never because there are still areas of the watershed left out of the proposed expanded boundaries, which could lead to more mining in the Nahanni watershed in the future.

Recently I talked to a government official in the know and he agreed that it is essential for the public to show up at this meeting to voice their desire for the whole watershed to be protected in the park. Everyone concurs that if enough people show up between 5:30 and 8:30 on November 1st at the Ottawa Public Library it could trigger the protecting of the entire watershed of Nahanni National Park. This would be fantastic!

So we need lots and lots of people out for this November 1st meeting in Ottawa. We need to pack the place and even better surround the building with people. If there is one thing you can do to help protect the Nahanni watershed it is to come to this meeting. If you can't make it please see below about writing and emailing the Prime Minister and Parks Canada about this issue.

I hope to see you all this Thursday at the Ottawa Public Library.
Cheers and thank you in advance,
Becky Mason

P.S. Please forward my message to anyone that you think might be able to attend the Ottawa meeting.
P.P.S. See CPAWS details below about open house and where to send your letter.

Details about Open House in Ottawa

Be part of this historic moment for Nahanni!
On November 1, attend Parks Canada's public meeting in Ottawa on the new Nahanni Park boundary.

This is your chance to let the federal government know if you want to see the entire South Nahanni Watershed and Nahanni karstlands permanently protected , not a compromised park that leaves areas open to mining.

Decisions are being made right now on the new expanded park boundary.
Make your voice heard!

Attend the Ottawa Parks Canada Open House on the Nahanni National Park expansion.
OTTAWA
Thursday, November 1st
5:30pm to 8:30pm (Presentation at 7pm)
Ottawa Public Library
Main Library -- Auditorium
120 Metcalfe Street

For more information, visit [url]http://www.cpaws.org/nahanni
[/url]
Thanks for your support!
CPAWS' Nahanni Team
Where to send your letter

Protecting Nahanni Forever: So Close!

This is one of the few times in your life that you can influence the course of conservation history in such a concrete and meaningful way!

Thanks to your support, we are a giant step closer to protecting Nahanni Forever. But the job is not yet done.

Decisions are being made right now on how much land will be permanently protected within the expanded Nahanni National Park boundary.

Our collective challenge is to make sure the new park boundary protects the entire watershed, not a compromise park that leaves areas open to mining.

For the next month, the federal government wants to hear what you think. You may have received an information package from Parks Canada asking for your feedback on three boundary options.

At this critical time, please take a minute to let the government know if you want to see the entire South Nahanni watershed protected forever.

We are told a decision will likely be made on new park boundaries within just a few months.

Here’s what you can do:

1. Write to the Prime Minister and the Parks Canada consultation team expressing your support for protecting the entire watershed, not leaving areas open to mining. A personal letter is best, but an emailed form letter is also useful. Comments received before November 23 2007 will be considered.

o Send a personal letter
http://www.cpaws.org/nahanni/action/index.php
o Send an email form letter
http://www.advocacyonline.net/eactivist/user/userJ.jsp?CLS@dwwkx0hKgy6oPDKl69

2. If you live in Ottawa, attend the Parks Canada Nahanni public meeting

o November 1st at the Ottawa Public Library [click here for more information http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/nt/nahanni/images/sud-south_e.pdf]

3. Phone your MP
http://www.cpaws.org/nahanni/action/phone.php

For more information visit
http://www.cpaws.org/nahanni

At this critical time, please speak out.

Thanks for your support.

CPAWS’ Nahanni Team[/b][/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2007, 4:23 pm 

Thanks for the timely update Becky.

For those of us not able to swarm the building in Ottawa, Parks Canada has a mail-in comment form, along with a description of the boundary options and other information, on its website for the Nahanni expansion:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/nt/nahanni/natcul/natcul1g_E.asp#a6

Comments due by November 23, 2007.

PY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 1st, 2007, 9:08 pm 

From the CPAWS site:

Quote:
Send your Letter

NOTE: no postage required when sending letters to the House of Commons

Right Honourable Stephen Harper
Prime Minister of Canada
House of Commons
Ottawa, ON K1A 0A6
Phone: 613 992 4211
Fax: 613 941 6900
Email: pm@pm.gc.ca

Please send copies to:

Honourable John Baird
Minister of Environment
House of Commons
Ottawa, ON K1A 0A6
Phone: 613 996 9778
Fax: 613 996 0785
Email: Baird.J@parl.gc.ca

Honourable Chuck Strahl
Minister of Indian and Northern Affairs
House of Commons
Ottawa, ON K1A 0A6
Phone: 613 992 4275
Fax: 613 947 9475
Email: Strahl.C@parl.gc.ca

Your MP
House of Commons
Ottawa, ON K1A 0A6

Nahanni Expansion Consultation Team (postage required)
Parks Canada
P.O. Box 1166
Yellowknife, NT. X1A 2N8
Fax: 867 766 8466
Email: Nahanni.Expansion@pc.gc.ca

And please send CPAWS a copy too:
CPAWS
c/o Jill Sturdy
506 – 250 City Centre Ave
Ottawa, ON K1R 6K7
nahanni@cpaws.org

And from the RedCanoes.ca website, a posting written by Becky Mason regarding letters ......

Quote:
I asked Dad once why he wrote so many letters about asking government officials to reconsider their stance on various environmental platforms. I figured it was odd for Dad to devote half a day of every week to letter writing when he was already so busy making his films and books about preserving our environment.

He lifted a letter from his done pile and asked me to read it. As I read I was impressed at how polite and simple it was. I understood the message and also felt the passion he had for our disappearing wilderness. Dad told me that just one personal letter written to the government is important because they realize that if one person has written in at least a hundred probably meant to write but never got around to it. It was a real eye opener for me that all letters short, long, learned, or just heart felt can accomplish the perceived impossible.

Thanks for the heads up Becky. My letters are in the mail.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2007, 4:20 pm 

I received the maps with the proposed boundaries in the mail yesterday.

The 3 choices were ridiculously identical and I will be returning the questionnaire with some choice comments ASAP. I will also send emails as outlined above.