View topic - Pre-packaged meal = subpar calories

It is currently November 29th, 2020, 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 17th, 2007, 4:49 am 

Why is it that most manufacturers of pre-packed dehydrated meal have small portions with low calorie counts. If I'm hiking all day or paddling 40km I need to consume around 3000+ calories. Has anyone found a company that is a little more realistic in this area? I know the simple solution is to do it myself, but sometimes times just doesn't allow that.

Cheers,

Ryan R

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2007, 8:44 am 

I've noticed that too, but there are ways of coping. I just eat two portions and consider it just one course of the supper meal, not the entire meal. The deserts seem to have more calories than the meals. Summer Sausage and cheese with some sort of bread makes a great calorie rich lunch and you can eat as much as you want. Throw in a couple of salty nut or porridge bars and your good to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2007, 10:27 am 

Yeah, really, a two portion meal is barely enough for me!
I'm just glad that over the last few years, you can get much better choices at your local grocery store that what used to be available, beats the costly dehydrated or freeze dried meals available at the outfitters.
I still enjoy making my own selections at the bulk store for many of the things I bring - better able to control weight/calorie ratios than going with prepackaged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2007, 11:21 am 

If I'm not making my own meals from dried supplies I usually supplement the "meal" with a generous helping of starch (Potatoes, rice etc..)

I also snack a lot. High calorie snacks... The easiest way to pack in calories is with fats as they contain twice as much available energy per weight than sugar/starch or protein.

Both starch/sugar and proteins contain the same energy per weight, but the difference is in how fast you digest it/ it hits your system.

Proteins are the slowest to digest so they give you lasting energy, sugars are the fastest, so they're good for a quick pick me up.

All this is why nuts make such good snack food when camping. High in fats and proteins for lasting energy and good energy density. If you want a quick pick me up add some sugars either in form of candy coatings, chocolate, or dried fruits.... Hmmm sounds a lot like a Gorp/granola mix.... :D

That's my solution. And its easier on your system than loading it down with all that food in one big lump.