View topic - Into the Wild movie

It is currently September 17th, 2019, 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Into the Wild movie
PostPosted: November 19th, 2007, 1:59 pm 

Saw the movie last weekend - my wife and I loved it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 19th, 2007, 5:00 pm 

Agreed - absolutely fabulous movie. Just finished the book too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 19th, 2007, 5:01 pm 

Im glad someone started this thread.. my wife and I also saw the movie and were haunted for a few days by it ..At home on the week-end I noticed the short story was contained in OUTSIDE Magazines book on collected stories by Jon Krakauer.. the one thing that was sort of glossed over in the movie is his trip down the Grand Canyon..

In the movie he's in a kayak but according to the Krakauer version he actually took a beaten up aluminum canoe ( probably a Grumann)..coursed through the canyon all the way into Mexico..

This in itself is a pretty amazing feat considering the large standing waves of the Canyon and little likelihood of portaging some sections..soloing.

The movie was accurate about the permit wait times ( 12 years)..but how did he pull that one off ? Has anyone ever heard of anyone else canoeing the Colorado? ( and surviving)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 19th, 2007, 5:52 pm 

Well, Chris didn't actually go through the Grand Canyon. He started below Lake Mead, got lost in the irrigation channels and then had to hitch hike out with a group of fishermen he met.

Not quite the "high drama" of the movie.

...........O
......(___|/____)
.........../

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 19th, 2007, 5:54 pm 

Interesting movie and book.....complex character. Why did he torture his family...Especially his sister...by not at least telling them he was alive?

I know he had his epiphany when he realized he was going to die... a little late by then.

As I said...an interesting character. Movie was good...a little too long, though !

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 19th, 2007, 5:57 pm 

read it, saw it, great movie.
Funny thing, about 10 to 12 years ago a group of us looked into canoeing down the colorado and we were told of the "12 year waiting list" and it would cost us an annual fee to be put on that list until our names came up :roll: :roll:
jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 19th, 2007, 6:24 pm 

Watersong wrote:
Why did he torture his family...Especially his sister...by not at least telling them he ws alive?

I know he had his epiphany when he realized he was going to die... a little late by then.

Quite!! He struck me as being very self-centered. Not every kid gets a chance to turn their nose up at a gift of a car from parents who were obviously trying their best.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 19th, 2007, 10:42 pm 

wotrock wrote:
Watersong wrote:
Why did he torture his family...Especially his sister...by not at least telling them he ws alive?

Quite!! He struck me as being very self-centered. Not every kid gets a chance to turn their nose up at a gift of a car from parents who were obviously trying their best.

I think the book wasn't too sympathetic, ultimately, and I think that it's sad that he died, when a decent map could have saved him by showing him how close he was to walking out of that wilderness.

Still, from what I hear, Penn did a great job on this film..

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 20th, 2007, 8:44 am 

I had almost the exact same conversation about a car with my parents after graduation - except they wanted to lease me a new Jeep, and I wanted an old beat-up car. (I didn't have a car at the time.)

He was selfish - but he was also a kid who felt trapped in a society that made little sense. His loss is tragic - this is why it's such a great story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 20th, 2007, 9:35 am 

Haven't seen the movie but read the book. A classic case of someone getting way in over their head. I see no reason to glorify or romanticize that. He was foolish, and paid a terrible price. From what I've heard the movie is done quite well. OTOH I really don't like Krakauer. His popular "Into Thin Air" is a farce. He bags on Anatoli Boukreev, who was twice the climber and three times the person that Krakauer will ever be.

A great line from the movie "Alaska"

City kid tells the small town Alaskan cop "But it's not my fault"
Cop says
"Son, in Alaska, if it happens to you, it's YOUR fault"

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 20th, 2007, 10:25 am 

GWA wrote:
I see no reason to glorify or romanticize that. He was foolish, and paid a terrible price.

GWA, I never read the book, precisely for your comments about Krakauer.

There's not much romantic about starving to death in the woods. I consider that tragedy, not glory.

For me, the movie is about understanding our own nature, rather than judging the actions of one young man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 20th, 2007, 2:03 pm 

In the book Krakauer tells of a fellow who worked on the Pipeline.Before leaving Alaska he decided to spend a summer in the wilderness. He outfitted himself with 1400 lbs of food and gear and had a bush pilot drop him off at a remote lake.

The summer was idyllic and everything he wanted with one major problem. As winter approached and the food started to run out he realized he hadn't made arrangements for a pick up. A flyby was inadvertently waived off because he didn't know the correct hand/arm signals for help.

Instead of starving and freezing to death he wound up blowing his brains out with a hunting rifle.

...........O
......(___|/____)
.........../

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 20th, 2007, 2:44 pm 

GWA wrote:
I see no reason to glorify or romanticize that. He was foolish, and paid a terrible price.

Some would say that's the definition of romance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 20th, 2007, 5:28 pm 

flyrod wrote:
GWA wrote:

Some would say that's the definition of romance.

sonds like the kind of romance I got in my first marriage!! :) :doh:

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Post subject: Why?
PostPosted: November 21st, 2007, 11:19 pm 

Read the book and saw the movie and the only thing I can't understand is why when he realized that he was must likely going to die that he did not write his parents a note apologizing for his noncommunication. To be that unforgiving in the face of death requires real anger. He should have had the compassion to tell his parents that he loved and forgave them. To me it would seem more important to do that than write some jackass note to the world..."I have had a good life......blah blah." Definitely a good read (like all Krakauer) and an interesting kid.

HAW

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next