View topic - Milk River

It is currently September 17th, 2019, 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 4th, 2002, 7:11 am 

We are considering a trip to the Milk River next July. I'm wondering of anybody has information about this trip that they could share with me. Any help appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 4th, 2002, 10:50 am 

We visited Writing-On-Stone Provincial Park on the Milk River a couple of years ago, and the River was almost dry. Mind you, that was September.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 7th, 2002, 11:35 pm 

Southern Alberta emerged from three years of drought this year, with plenty of rain. I don't know how the Milk River's source is doing, but with average or better snow this winter, the river should be near "normal" levels in 2003.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 8th, 2002, 7:14 pm 

Hi Marvin:
Canoe and Kayak Magazine August 2002 Page 82 has the info you ask for. Try the Alberta Recreational Canoe Ass'n web site at http://www.abcanoekayak.org. The site did not work very well for me. I would like to know how you make out the Milk River is one I'd like to do.
OAD

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 9th, 2002, 7:38 am 

Thanks for the lead O&F

I tried their site and managed to move around OK but could not access the part that I was most interested in which related to resources where I assume trip details could be found. I've sent them an email with a request for information and am looking for the C & K magazine in the meantime Thanks!

Marvin

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 9th, 2002, 7:44 pm 

Marvin,

Please post the route in the "Routes" section after you've completed it. I'd be interested in finding out more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2002, 2:51 pm 
I live in Lethbridge and we paddled it this year. I have all the info you need. If you are serious about paddling it or other southern Alberta rivers email me at drzandee@telusplanet.net
It's a magical place with lots of history and wildlife. It's not busy. It has some fun section further up. Camping services are basic. Car shuttleing is avaliable but it's expensive.
We are going agian next year! The knowledge Network was there filming a program on it which they aired this fall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31st, 2002, 3:25 pm 

Maps:
ARCA (Alberta Recteational Canoe Association) has a great map out for the Milk River.
http://www.abcanoekayak.org or (877) 388-2722
Geographic maps are availiable at http://toporama.cits.rncan.gc.ca

Flows:
The river is very sensitive to percipitation. They say in 1908 the river rose 12ft in 2 hrs.
When we paddled it June 01-02 of this year and the flow was at 32m/s3 which was high and fast but nice to get above rocks and gravel bars plus it made some fun waves against the canyon wall and cliffs. But by June 14 it was flooding, washing out barns, livestock and fences.
July however is safer as the flow averages around 17 to 20m/s3. End of June beginning of July is best time.
Low water:12m/s3
Good paddling: 16 to 24 m/s3
High water: 25 - 45 m/s3
Floods: 100 - 200 m/s3
Average July temperatures: high/28 - low/12 with 32 mm rain
Get your flow data from http://www.gov.ab.ca/env/water.html

Camping:
River is public property so you can camp anywhere close but if you go up above the banks you will be in someones field. No Campgrounds on the upper portion other than the towns of Del Bonita and Milk River. The lower section has a two great spots Poverty Rock and Gold Stream.

Transportation:
I don't think there is a bus but try Karen's Canoe Service (403) 758-6683 in Del Bonita and Milk River Raft Tours (403) 647-3586.

Access and Egress:
River Distance in kilometers. You would expect to travel at 6 - 8 km/h in average conditions
Whiskey gap to Del Bonita Town 26km
Del Bonita Town to Gravel Pit 79km
Gravel Pit to Milk River Town 11km
Milk River Town to Gold Springs18km
Gold Springs to Coffin Bridge 20km
Coffin Bridge to Poverty Rock 13km
Poverty Rock to Weir Bridge 10km
Weir Bridge to Writing-On-Stone10km
Writing-On-Stone to Deer Cr.Bdg 8km

Hiking:
Along the river you can explore the coulees and walk the cliff tops. You can explore the hoodoos at the park.
Contacts:
Milk River Info Center (403) 647-3938
Milk River Town Office (403) 647-3773
Writing-on-stone operator 1-877-877-3515
Writing-on-stone park (403) 647-2364

PostPosted: June 1st, 2003, 10:38 am 
Hi - I was wondering if the recommended water levels re paddling suitability you posted were assuming a data collection point at the Milk River station?
Thanks in advance,
Rolf

drzandee wrote:
Maps:
ARCA (Alberta Recteational Canoe Association) has a great map out for the Milk River.
http://www.abcanoekayak.org or (877) 388-2722
Geographic maps are availiable at http://toporama.cits.rncan.gc.ca

Flows:
The river is very sensitive to percipitation. They say in 1908 the river rose 12ft in 2 hrs.
When we paddled it June 01-02 of this year and the flow was at 32m/s3 which was high and fast but nice to get above rocks and gravel bars plus it made some fun waves against the canyon wall and cliffs. But by June 14 it was flooding, washing out barns, livestock and fences.
July however is safer as the flow averages around 17 to 20m/s3. End of June beginning of July is best time.
Low water:12m/s3
Good paddling: 16 to 24 m/s3
High water: 25 - 45 m/s3
Floods: 100 - 200 m/s3
Average July temperatures: high/28 - low/12 with 32 mm rain
Get your flow data from http://www.gov.ab.ca/env/water.html

Camping:
River is public property so you can camp anywhere close but if you go up above the banks you will be in someones field. No Campgrounds on the upper portion other than the towns of Del Bonita and Milk River. The lower section has a two great spots Poverty Rock and Gold Stream.

Transportation:
I don't think there is a bus but try Karen's Canoe Service (403) 758-6683 in Del Bonita and Milk River Raft Tours (403) 647-3586.

Access and Egress:
River Distance in kilometers. You would expect to travel at 6 - 8 km/h in average conditions
Whiskey gap to Del Bonita Town 26km
Del Bonita Town to Gravel Pit 79km
Gravel Pit to Milk River Town 11km
Milk River Town to Gold Springs18km
Gold Springs to Coffin Bridge 20km
Coffin Bridge to Poverty Rock 13km
Poverty Rock to Weir Bridge 10km
Weir Bridge to Writing-On-Stone10km
Writing-On-Stone to Deer Cr.Bdg 8km

Hiking:
Along the river you can explore the coulees and walk the cliff tops. You can explore the hoodoos at the park.
Contacts:
Milk River Info Center (403) 647-3938
Milk River Town Office (403) 647-3773
Writing-on-stone operator 1-877-877-3515
Writing-on-stone park (403) 647-2364

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 1st, 2003, 12:13 pm 

Rolf

There are three stations:
Internationa Boundry
Town of Milk River
Verdigris Coulee

The one at the Town of Milk River is the only one you should use. The flow is at 21m3/s right now which is perfect.

I will be paddling it on Tues, Wed, and Thurs. I can tell you how it is, if you like.

How many days were you planning and where are you coming from?