View topic - Batiscan Trip June 17-21

It is currently February 18th, 2020, 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Batiscan Trip June 17-21
PostPosted: May 10th, 2004, 9:20 pm 

I'm planning to do the Batiscan from June 17-21. What kind of water levels can I expect at that time of the year?Does everyone need to be quite experienced for this trip?

Thanks,

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 11th, 2004, 10:24 am 

John

I can't advise about water levels. However, the Batiscan ain't no stinking beer float. It is a serious whitewater river. It is a great river. Most rapids are runnable. However, there are numerous short portages and many rapids that need to be lined. I recommend finding another river, if all trip participants aren't close to expert paddlers. Also, taking the train in from Riviere au Pierre is a good way to access.

Frankr

Post subject: How difficult is it?
PostPosted: May 11th, 2004, 9:16 pm 

Thanks for your info.

Most of our party has been paddling for many years. Every year we paddle the Lower Madawaska in May. If you're familiar with this river, how do the rapids compare? We're not afraid to go for a swim but I don't want the entire tripto be a struggle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 12th, 2004, 7:33 am 

John,
I ran it several time at different period of the year...
Late June is certainly the best time!
The last time we did it, I brought my brother with whom I paddle duo. He never ran ww before... he certainly enjoyed the ride.
Also a friend of mine was kayaking for the third time only. He was able to run almost all rapids without major problem.

At mid-high level, the river is certainly comparable to the Madawaska Kanu Center section in difficulty... which I did last year mid-august (but lower level).
You will need to scout most of the rapids if it's your first time...but here is the same advice for all first time river!!!

If you are considering to be 4-5 days on the river, I suggest you starting at Pearl lake. The first two days are easier and will help get in symbiose with the river before attempting the Hell's gate section (continuous class 3)

At my point of view, it isn't the hell's gate section the most difficult part (except the big class 5 ledge)
"Les Trois-Roches rapids" is one the most technical rapids.
Fore sure the confluence of the Jeanotte-Batiscan is a tough one too. but portages and scouting is quit easy.
There is a good map on the web: http://www.cartespleinair.org/ for the Hell's gate section..

Doing the Batiscan... go for the train ride... it add so much to a trip...
It simplify the shuttle. Just go the takeout and leave a car there.

If need anything more... don't hesitate.

David

Post subject: Batiscan Trip
PostPosted: May 12th, 2004, 10:34 pm 

Thanks David!

Some reports I've read seem to make this river out to be some kind of monster or something. We're just out there for a great time,so if we swim once or twice no big deal. We use a good portion of common sense and takes ya a long way.
I'm really looking forward to this trip. Last year we did the Dumoine in July and that was a little too easy.

Thanks a whole big bunch!

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 12th, 2004, 10:50 pm 

Also, I'm planning to put in likely just south of Riviere aux Eclairs just below Rapids Beaudet, where the train tracks cross the river at the 142 km mark. We'd take out at the 102 km mark at Barriere Batiscan (also a bridge I believe)

We plan to paddle Friday afternoon, Saturday, Sunday,and a short day on Sunday. Did I gauge my distance (40 km) correct for 2.5 days on the river or do I need more time for this section?

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 13th, 2004, 6:26 am 

John,
your schedule is just fine with me!
your planning make me want to go with you!
By starting at Beaudet, you'll hit all the major sections...
For sure it is more challenging than the Dumoine!
Hope you enjoy this ride...

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 13th, 2004, 10:35 am 

John,

Your schedule is ok, however if on-line gauge for Batiscan at the time of your trip would show 80 cubic meters or more (or if you'll have some nasty weather forecast), you might need to shorten your trip a little bit or switch to run upper Batiscan (from Lac Pearl to Jeannote confluence) instead.

...just monitor water level at this URL:
http://www.gaetanlord.ca/info_debit/GraphLevel.cgi?Riviere=Batiscan%3APortes+de+l%27enfer&Submit=OK&Jour=03&Mois=03&PlusDay=189&An=2004&.cgifields=An

PS: ...personally, I would hate to miss Beaudet Rapids - they are very nice... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 13th, 2004, 3:10 pm 

GeneU is right!
Rapides Beaudet is a "don't miss spot".
I remember very well my first impression when we first arrive at this point.
Like a cascade-chute-monster rapid...
Lining it was tricky, but the view of it right beside in the main channel was so impressive.
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 13th, 2004, 3:34 pm 

John

We took out at Rousseau. Also, on the map is a takeout at nearby Chutes du Dix. I think we saw people swimming at that one. On the web go to Cartespleinaire.org, hit the canoe maps icon, scroll to Maurice. Batiscan. Aval de la Barrier. There was a good place to park. Our guide knew where it was. Otherwise, it would have been tough to locate. There were no signs. However, locals seemed to know where it was. If you use one of these take outs. I'd walk down to the river and have a good look around. Neither takeout is "can't miss" obvious from the river.

Frankr

Post subject: I like this run
PostPosted: May 20th, 2004, 4:40 pm 

From Triton Club to Gates of Hell you can take the Tuesday train north, and take out on Saturday. I've done this twice. I really like this river better than the Dumoine. Luckily it isnt too crowded. Maybe I should shut up!

My son and I did it tandem a few years ago. There are enough challenges to make everyday fun.

Post subject: Back from Batiscan
PostPosted: June 22nd, 2004, 6:35 pm 

Thanks to everyone who helped me plan this amazing trip on this gorgeous river. Even though the weather was crappy, we had a great time. Amazing rapids! We lined some of the longer Class 3's to avoid haveing our canoes getting swamped. This is one trip that I want to to again!

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2004, 6:40 am 

John,
can ou describe a bit more your trip
water level
put in point
# person

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2004, 9:39 am 

...any bugs??? :lol:

PS: ...as I understand the water level was supposed to be excelent (I looked at FQCK site - there were ~60m3 most of the time)

Post subject: Batiscan
PostPosted: June 24th, 2004, 7:09 pm 

We put in at Club Jaques Cartier. There were 4 of us in our party....as well as a zillion blackflies. The train dropped us off at approx 2:30 I believe....it was late leaving. That made quite a long first day. We didn't get to our campsite till 7:00 - 7:30 at Orleans Club. The first day it rained on and off and it rained quite heavy at nite. But our tarp was up and we had Chicken Pamesean, wild rice & mushrooms and peas as well as garlic bread with a nice bottle of merlot.....so it capped of a busy day.
Next day on the water at 10:15...overcast skies and cool. Got 1 canoe hung up on two rocks after a lousy approach. We managed to pull it off and finish the rapid....We lined some of the longer class 3's cause without spraydecks you'd constantly find the boat swamped. Good lining skills are an asset. Most of the harder rapids are quite easy to line.
That nite we camped at the 116 km mark. On sunday we were off to an early start at 9:00 cause we had 13-14 rapids to conquer before out take out at the Batiscan Brige. We finished at 5:00 that afternoon.
What an awesome river.....almost continous WW in this section. I gotta do this section again sometime!